* Problem Moving Ham from Spam
@ 2003-11-03 14:56 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-11-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought I had this all worked out but it didn't quite work out right.

My spam group has the following group parameters set:

((uidvalidity . "71437")
 (timestamp 16294 26744)
 (auto-expire . t)
 (registry-ignore . t)
 (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
 (spam-process
  (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-bogofilter gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-bogofilter))
 (ham-process-destination . "nnimap+hamilton:INBOX/Misc")
 (expiry-wait . 2))

I also set the global variable
spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group to true.

I entered the group and tickeed ("!") those messages that were really ham.  I
did a 'c' on the group and watched it all chug away expecting to have my ham
moved to the INBOX/Misc folder marked unread.  Instead, the ticked messages
remained as ticked messages in my spam folder and did not get moved.

Two questions:

1) What did I do wrong?  Do I need to specify the ham-marks group parameter
   for this to work?  I didn't think so since the tick mark shold be
   comnsidered a ham mark by default, no?

2) How do I fix this now?  I want the ticked messages to be trained as ham
   and moved.  Do I just move them manually to my ham group and let them get
   trained by the ham group's exit processor?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: Problem Moving Ham from Spam
@ 2003-11-03 16:13 ` Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 2003-11-03 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I also set the global variable
> spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group to true.
>
> I entered the group and tickeed ("!") those messages that were really ham.  I
> did a 'c' on the group and watched it all chug away expecting to have my ham
> moved to the INBOX/Misc folder marked unread.  Instead, the ticked messages
> remained as ticked messages in my spam folder and did not get moved.

This all works fine for me, except I have
spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group set to nil.

> Two questions:
>
> 1) What did I do wrong?  Do I need to specify the ham-marks group
> parameter for this to work?  I didn't think so since the tick mark
> shold be comnsidered a ham mark by default, no?

Maybe it should, but I doubt that it is.  I asked Ted to have it added
to the customize list.  I don't think it is enabled by "default".  Are
any marks enabled by default?  What happens if you actually try to set
it?

> 2) How do I fix this now?  I want the ticked messages to be trained
> as ham and moved.  Do I just move them manually to my ham group and
> let them get trained by the ham group's exit processor?

No, you shouldn't need to move them manually.  They will get moved...

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://mixing.coas.oregonstate.edu/people/jklymak/
mailto:jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu

* Re: Problem Moving Ham from Spam
@ 2003-11-03 16:58 ` Michael Shields
From: Michael Shields @ 2003-11-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In message <76brrtwle3.fsf@newjersey.ppllc.com>,
Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:
> 1) What did I do wrong?  Do I need to specify the ham-marks group parameter
>    for this to work?  I didn't think so since the tick mark shold be
>    comnsidered a ham mark by default, no?

No.  The default ham marks are:

   :variable-default '((".*" ((gnus-del-mark
			       gnus-read-mark
			       gnus-killed-mark
			       gnus-kill-file-mark
			       gnus-low-score-mark))))

I don't think tick should be a default ham mark, because the tick mark
is not reset when leaving the group.  Many people use ticked articles
as a way of temporarily saving them, and it would be incorrect to copy
them to ham groups every time the group is exited.

> 2) How do I fix this now?  I want the ticked messages to be trained as ham
>    and moved.  Do I just move them manually to my ham group and let them get
>    trained by the ham group's exit processor?

Manually?  That implies that Emacs could not do it for you.  No, add
tick to the ham-marks if you want, or use 'd' instead of '!' to rescue
ham from spam groups.
--
Shields.

* Re: Problem Moving Ham from Spam
@ 2003-11-03 19:01   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-03 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jake Colman, ding

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, shields@msrl.com wrote:

> In message <76brrtwle3.fsf@newjersey.ppllc.com>,
> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:
>> 1) What did I do wrong?  Do I need to specify the ham-marks group
>>    parameter for this to work?  I didn't think so since the tick
>>    mark shold be comnsidered a ham mark by default, no?
>
> No.  The default ham marks are:
>
>    :variable-default '((".*" ((gnus-del-mark
> 			       gnus-read-mark
> 			       gnus-killed-mark
> 			       gnus-kill-file-mark
> 			       gnus-low-score-mark))))
>
> I don't think tick should be a default ham mark, because the tick
> mark is not reset when leaving the group.  Many people use ticked
> articles as a way of temporarily saving them, and it would be
> incorrect to copy them to ham groups every time the group is exited.

Agreed, that's why it's not in the defaults.  Jake, sorry if I
implied or said that it was a default.  It was intentionally not a
default so it wouldn't interfere with most people's reading habits.

Ted