From: dale.hagglund@gmail.com
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: does agent expire cached articles when server expires them?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:28:02 -0700	[thread overview]

[I apologize if this is a duplicate post.  Operator error caused my
first posting attempt to fail, and I couldn't tell how far it got in the
process.  --dale]

greg> I have found agent and IMAP to be unreliable.  I would recommend
greg> figuring out some way to copy messages to a real backup location,
greg> rather than relying on the agent to keep them.

Thanks for the feedback.  So far, at least, I haven't run across any
weirdness, or at least not any that I've recognized.  You're probably
right about the separate backup, but I do like the fact that all my mail
is in my primary inbox.  That'll probably become too slow eventually,
though.

Until recently, I didn't use nnimap.  Rather, I would use the imap mail
source and always drag messages out of the server into an nnml group.  A
bit of work with nnmail-split-fancy solved the archiving problem.
However, recently changes have meant that I access the imap server
directly from both home and work, so sucking out the messages at one
place or the other is a no-no.  Hence the switch to nnimap.

Am I missing some capability here?  Ie, as I fetch new messages into an
nnimap group, I'd like to archive them to group in a differnet back end
(for instance, nnml). I just took a look at nnimap splitting (both
regular and facy), but it looked to me like I could only split to groups
on the same imap server.  Am I missing something.

greg> It could be I don't understand the point of the agent, or that
greg> agent and IMAP don't make sense together conceptually - IMAP is
greg> not a read-only message store, and non-gnus clients can modify it.

Dale.