* Gnus forgets expiration marks (Agent problem?)
@ 2003-04-03  7:00 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-04-03  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use the agent as a cache (but I'm starting to wish I
didn't) and mark messages I don't want to see as expirable.
These messages are then removed from my IMAP-server, but
still available locally. An excellent setup in theory.

I have:

(remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook 'gnus-summary-expire-articles)

since I don't want to wait when exiting a group. Instead I
use:

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 180 180)

When I came in this morning all expiration marks in my main
group were missing. I've had this problem before and went
around it by never expiring groups, but then I might as well
keep everything on the IMAP-server in the first place.

As I've mentioned many times before I also have the problem
that when I move messages between groups the message will
not be deleted from the first group.

I'm sorry to be so negative and wish I could word things in
a more diplomatic fashion. Is there anything at all I can do
to help solve these problems? Otherwise I'll problably just
turn off the agent and use some sort of archive groups on
the IMAP-server instead.

Niklas

* Re: Gnus forgets expiration marks (Agent problem?)
@ 2003-04-12 21:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-12 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 180 180)
>
> When I came in this morning all expiration marks in my main
> group were missing.

Are you able to reproduce this bug in a reliable manner?

* Re: Gnus forgets expiration marks (Agent problem?)
@ 2003-04-14  7:24   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-04-14  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 180 180)
>>
>> When I came in this morning all expiration marks in my main
>> group were missing.
>
> Are you able to reproduce this bug in a reliable manner?

I stopped using the agent since the lost marks were causing
me so much extra work and I got no pointers on how to help
debug it.

I'll take a look at it again, but don't expect any immediate
results.

@ 2003-04-16  9:30     ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-04-16  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> I'll take a look at it again, but don't expect any immediate
> results.

I had a similar problem twice in the last few weeks -- ie not
reproducible: Gnus would forget about a hundred or more read-marks.
That is, I start up Gnus, and my "read" status for most nnml groups
are "back in time" -- the last two dozens or so are unread eventhough
I read them before.

Alex.