From: Kai Blauberg <kai.blauberg@metla.fi>
Subject: Re: Sharing .newsrc.eld files
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:35:32 GMT	[thread overview]

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Before loading (!) Gnus, you set gnus-home-directory to
> "/user@host:/path/to/dir/" and rely on ange-ftp to access all files
> relevant to Gnus.

Great to hear!

> Dunno if this works.  First, you might wish to try to create a new
> local dir and move all Gnus-related files and directories there, then
> try starting Gnus with gnus-home-directory set to that local
> directory.  Then, you can try the ange-ftp trick on the other machine.

However I do not get it working, neither with 5.6.23 nor with 0.84 under
GNU Emacs 20.3.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit).

I try first the local directory alternative, and move the .gnus and .newsrc*
files into the directory and specify the directory with setq in the scratch
buffer. The variable is set, F1-v has the correct value. When I start gnus,
the .gnus is read only from the alternate directory, if the path does not
contain a slash as the last string. If the slash is included into the string
no .gnus is read. In the next stage I see that gnus treats me
as a first time user, so the .newsrc.eld file from the alternae directory is
not read. If I save the .newsrc file it is saved into my original home directory.

The same behaviour I can observe with the ange-ftp alternative. Here also
the .newsrc.eld file is saved under my local home directory.

Does somebody have a suggestion to get this going?

Kai Blauberg

Kai Blauberg				Email:	kai.blauberg@metla.fi
Finnish Forest Research Institute	WWW: 	http://www.metla.fi/
Unioninkatu 40 A			Tel.:	+358-9-857 05 1
FIN-00170 Helsinki 			Fax:	+358-9-857 05 717