From: Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: decoding characters
Date: 12 May 2000 16:22:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Toby> Toby Speight <URL:mailto:streapadair@gmx.net>
Laura> Laura Conrad <URL:mailto:lconrad@world.std.com>

0> In article <kh7og6crir4.fsf@acme47.nineco.com>, Laura wrote:

Laura> I got an email which contained a table of TeX codings for
Laura> characters, and also the characters.  Most of them looked like
Laura> I expected, but there were 3 that displayed wrong in my gnus:
Laura>
Laura>       \oe (displayed as \234)
Laura>       \OE (displayed as \214)
Laura>       \"Y (displayed as \237)
Laura>
Laura> I'm using: xemacs*font:
Laura> -etl-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso8859-1

0> In article <ubt2c3vll.fsf@lanber.cam.eu.citrix.com>, Toby wrote:

Toby> Is your Emacs unibyte or multibyte?

0> In article <kh766sjrfyi.fsf@acme47.nineco.com>, Laura wrote:

Laura> How do I tell?  It's whatever came with RedHat.

Umm, pass.  I'd normally say to ask whoever built it, but that's
probably not convenient for you.  Anyone?

Toby> I think the ETL fonts include \"Y at \237 - but you haven't told
Toby> this to Emacs.  (aset standard-display-table ?\237 [?\237])

Laura> This gives me "Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil"

Hmm.  Works for me on GNU Emacs 20.4.1 (i386-*-nt4.0.1381).  It
probably makes the code I included useless to you.

Toby> Actually, that's not the most relevant header.  What would be more
Toby> useful would be the Content-Type line of the particular part you're
Toby> having problems with.

Laura> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Laura> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Well, you at least have the satisfaction of knowing that the message is
broken.  There are no printable characters at those codepoints in any
of the IS8859 encodings (for good reason - they are high-page control
characters).  Tell your correspondent to label messages correctly!