* 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-01 19:24 Mike Fabian
From: Mike Fabian @ 1999-10-01 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.97 still converts  all 0x0a into 0x0d when  saving
binary attachments (eg. *.tar.gz files).

Shenghou ZHU did send a patch which fixed this for pgnus 0.95.

Has this patch  been forgotten and not been  applied to pgnus 0.96 and
pgnus 0.97?

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@gmx.de>
In der Neckarhelle 81, D-69118 Heidelberg-Ziegelhausen

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-01 20:22 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-10-01 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.97 still converts  all 0x0a into 0x0d when  saving
Mike> binary attachments (eg. *.tar.gz files).

Mike> Shenghou ZHU did send a patch which fixed this for pgnus 0.95.

Mike> Has this patch been forgotten and not been applied to pgnus 0.96
Mike> and pgnus 0.97?

[...]

The patch has been applied to 0.96.  (95-zsh6? Please help me check
the patch number.)

But there is still a bug.  I have not located where it is.  When I
attach a file with 9 '0x0d's, the Gcc copy got 9, but the receiver got
only 7.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-01 21:50   ` Mike Fabian
From: Mike Fabian @ 1999-10-01 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Mike> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.97 still converts  all 0x0a into 0x0d when  saving
> Mike> binary attachments (eg. *.tar.gz files).
>
> Mike> Shenghou ZHU did send a patch which fixed this for pgnus 0.95.
>
> Mike> Has this patch been forgotten and not been applied to pgnus 0.96
> Mike> and pgnus 0.97?
>
> [...]
>
> The patch has been applied to 0.96.  (95-zsh6? Please help me check
> the patch number.)

Yes, your patch which worked well for 0.95 was 95-zsh6.diff.

> But there is still a bug.  I have not located where it is.  When I
> attach a file with 9 '0x0d's, the Gcc copy got 9, but the receiver got
> only 7.

I tried to send a 400kilobyte tar.gz file. The Gcc copy and the copy
which the receiver got were identical:

    mike@nozomi ~$ diff tcl8.1-info.tar.gz-gcc tcl8.1-info.tar.gz-receiver

but differed from the original. The only differences are that 0x0d
has been replaced by 0x0a:

    mike@nozomi ~$ cmp -l tcl8.1-info.tar.gz-gcc tcl8.1-info.tar.gz > cmp.out

    mike@nozomi ~$ head cmp.out
        66  12  15
       552  12  15
       694  12  15
       748  12  15
      1133  12  15
      1293  12  15
      1386  12  15
      1514  12  15
      2276  12  15
      2360  12  15

Mike

--

@ 1999-10-02  1:49     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-10-02  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Mike> I tried to send a 400kilobyte tar.gz file. The Gcc copy and the copy
Mike> which the receiver got were identical:

Mike>     mike@nozomi ~$ diff tcl8.1-info.tar.gz-gcc tcl8.1-info.tar.gz-receiver

Mike> but differed from the original. The only differences are that 0x0d
Mike> has been replaced by 0x0a:

[...]

I can not reproduce the bug in Gnu Emacs.  Please try
        (setq mm-binary-coding-system 'binary)
to see whether it still happens.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-02 11:40       ` Mike Fabian
From: Mike Fabian @ 1999-10-02 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> [...]
>

> Mike> I tried to send a 400kilobyte tar.gz file. The Gcc copy and
> Mike> the copy which the receiver got were identical but differed
> Mike> from the original. The only differences are that 0x0d has been
> Mike> replaced by 0x0a:
>
> [...]
>
> I can not reproduce the bug in Gnu Emacs.  Please try
>         (setq mm-binary-coding-system 'binary)
> to see whether it still happens.

This makes the problem disappear in XEmacs. Thank you very much!

The previous value was `no-conversion'.

What does that mean? What is the difference between `no-conversion'
and `binary'?

Mike

--

@ 1999-10-02 17:51         ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-10-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike> This makes the problem disappear in XEmacs. Thank you very much!

Mike> The previous value was `no-conversion'.

Mike> What does that mean? What is the difference between
Mike> `no-conversion' and `binary'?

That's it. I guess the difference is the type of EOL. That's why 0x0a
is converted to 0x0d.

I've committed the change to the CVS several days ago.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-03 14:37         ` Stainless Steel Rat
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-03 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-03 15:43           ` Jan Vroonhof
       [not found]           ` <byiu4oo3et.fsf@bolz <by4sg8nmyz.fsf@bolzano.math.ethz.ch>
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-10-03 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> `binary' means that the buffer should be treated as "raw" data.
> `no-conversion' does EOLN conversion, I think, contradicting the idea of
> performing no conversion.

no-conversion means no _characterset conversion_ (or at least in
XEmacs it does). However I agree raw-text is a much better name.

> Both FSF Emacs and XEmacs are rock-stupid and broken about this.

In fact in FSF Emacs no-conversion == binary. IIRC correctly in XEmacs
the meaning on no-conversion ping-ponged around in order to stay
compatible with the then unreleased "New Mule API". Now it has the
current meaning because that is what the 20.x XEmacs series had.

no-conversion should really be banished to obscurity where it belongs
to give way to the more meaningful terms 'binary and 'raw-text.
However the fact that 'no-conversion seems to be the preferred name
for binary on FSF Emacs and the fact that not all previous versions of
the Emacsen had all three doesn't help.

Jan

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-03 16:51             ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

@ 1999-10-03 21:39           ` Jan Vroonhof
       [not found]           ` <byiu4oo3et.fsf@bolz <by4sg8nmyz.fsf@bolzano.math.ethz.ch>
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-10-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Hmm... I seem to recall that.  This is one of FSF Emacs 20's stupidities:
> it assumes that if no coding system is set it *must* perform a conversion,
> which is just plain wrong.

I think you'll find that this is not limited to FSF Emacs. I think in
itself the idea that not specifying a coding system leads to
auto-detection is sound however the autodetection should be _much_
more conservative and for _non-files_ (or at least internet sockets)
the default should be 'binary.

> Of course, this caused XEmacs 20 to break because on "illegal" messages
> becaue no-conversion means something totally different.  What a pain.

The joys of two teams, at least one of them manifestly not trying to
be compatible[1], working to implement the same manifestly
undocumented or even undefined API.

Jan

Footnotes:
[1]  Note the careful positioning of 'not' in this sentence.

@ 1999-10-04 16:13             ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-04 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-04 20:12               ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-10-04 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> I suppose a major problem is that the Japanese MULE team has a habit of
> frequently changing their own API (if API it can be called), causing all
> sorts of things in FSF Emacs to break (cf much of Erik Naggum's rantings).

I'm very far from knowing all the details of the story.  I got that more
than once, Richard made changes on his side, and 半田さん (Handa-san) had no
other choice than to try to repair things the best he could.  I found him to
be incredibly polite and patient on that matter.  I would have exploded and
died many times in similar situations, and I've a nice character :-).

So the quoted sentence, above, might be a bit unfair.

* Re: 0x0a converted to 0x0d when saving attachments
@ 1999-10-05 11:42                 ` Kai Großjohann
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-05 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)