From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Imap, gmail and gnus
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:27:53 +0200	[thread overview]

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> at  nnimap "riley" is that supposed to be the actual name of a gmail
>>> account inbox?  Or just a name being used in gnus?
>
> Ok I follow that well enough . . .  thanks
>
>> Its explained the manual. See the authinfo line below? Note the "riley" bit?

> I do not find anything in the manual that looks anything like this.
> Under `Connecting to an imap server:'

I'm sure its there somewhere, but I'll explain below:

> I see:
>
>  machine imap.gmail.com login <username> password <password> port imap
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, which is why I offered my alternative : maybe it'll work? I dont
know.

> Note it is a host name.  Not a user name.

No, its not a user name : the user name is the bit after "login" in the
authinfo file.

> So I repeat is your imap server host name `riley', or is it aliased in
> some way?

I pasted in my select method and you have removed it in your reply. Here
it is again:

,----
| >>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
| >>                 '(nnimap "riley"
| >>                          (nnir-search-engine imap)
| >>                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| >>                          ))
`----

this *nnimap-address* is the same for multiple connections but the logical
identifier, in this case "riley", can vary enabling multiple connections
to the same physical imap server with different user
credentials. Obviously the token "riley" is whats used to index into the
authinfo file that that select method's user credentials.

And the corresponding authinfo line is:-

,----
| >> and the corresponding .authinfo.gpg is:-
| >> machine riley login rileyrg password ***********
`----

Hope that is clearer. It might work for you. But I suspect something
else is the issue if you're not getting any open errors etc.

regards

r.