* Re: Default setting of `mm-coding-system-priorities'
       [not found] <86sldbdc7e.fsf@lola.quinscape.zz>
@ 2007-02-15 21:40 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-02-15 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Mon, Feb 12 2007, David Kastrup wrote:

> nowadays a lot of GNU/Linux systems have set up an utf-8 locale by
> default.  Now the default value of
> mm-coding-system-priorities is
[...]
> It would now seem appropriate to make mm-coding-system-priorities
> effectively default to '(iso-8859-1 utf-8), namely first try
> iso-8859-1 before going over to utf-8.
>
> I am not sure whether this change is something that should be done at
> mm-coding-system-priorities level or in the English language
> environment, though.  But since it is reasonable in an utf-8 locale
> that files that are read and written are primarily considered utf-8,
> it really might be appropriate to confine the Latin-1 preference to
> mail and news interchange.
>
> But there it is _definitely_ preferable.

I'm not sure if it is obvious that everybody using a UTF-8 locale
prefers Latin-1 for outgoing mail and news.  Anyhow, as
mm-coding-system-priorities is customizable, I don't see any need to
change the default now.

We might want to try David's suggestion in Gnus CVS (trunk).
Opinions?  (Cc-ing ding)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Default setting of `mm-coding-system-priorities'
@ 2007-02-15 22:38   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-02-15 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

> I'm not sure if it is obvious that everybody using a UTF-8 locale
> prefers Latin-1 for outgoing mail and news.

I believe that in general, if a message *can* be encoded in an 8bit
encoding, it's likely that it will be readable by a larger audience than if
it is encoded in utf-8.

But it's probably too late to change it for Emacs-22.

        Stefan

* Re: Default setting of `mm-coding-system-priorities'
@ 2007-02-16 20:04     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-02-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Thu, Feb 15 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I'm not sure if it is obvious that everybody using a UTF-8 locale
>> prefers Latin-1 for outgoing mail and news.
>
> I believe that in general, if a message *can* be encoded in an 8bit
> encoding, it's likely that it will be readable by a larger audience
> than if it is encoded in utf-8.

In my understanding, the variable `mm-coding-system-priorities' is a
preference of the user sending the message rather than statement about
what is more likely to be readable by the recipient.

> But it's probably too late to change it for Emacs-22.

ACK

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,