* RFE: d/l only the header
@ 2004-09-26 13:49 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2004-09-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

When reading mailing lists on gmane, I use this to mark spam:

(defun sds-gmane-url (type)
  (concat "http://" type ".gmane.org/"
          (if (string-match ":\\([^:]*\\)$" gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (match-string 1 gnus-newsgroup-name)
              gnus-newsgroup-name)
          ":" (number-to-string (mail-header-number
                                 gnus-current-headers))))

(defun sds-gmane-article ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((url (sds-gmane-url "article")) (x-select-enable-clipboard t))
    (kill-new url)
    (message "Gmane: %s" url)))

(defun sds-gmane-spam () (interactive) (browse-url (sds-gmane-url "spam")))

Very often I know the article is spam just by looking at the sender and
subject, but the above code only works if I download the whole article
(which may be 1,000+ lines long!)

Is there a way to request just the header?

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
main(a){printf(a,34,a="main(a){printf(a,34,a=%c%s%c,34);}",34);}

* Re: RFE: d/l only the header
@ 2004-09-27 14:45 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 26 2004, Sam Steingold wrote:

> When reading mailing lists on gmane, I use this to mark spam:
[...]
> Very often I know the article is spam just by looking at the sender and
> subject, but the above code only works if I download the whole article
> (which may be 1,000+ lines long!)
>
> Is there a way to request just the header?

Why don't you use the builtin Gmane spam reporting functions?  See
(info "(gnus)Gmane Spam Reporting").  IIRC, the relevant functions
only need/use the headers.

BTW, if your Emacs 21.3.50 is from current CVS, you should better use
the bundled Gnus (5.10.6) instead of 5.10.3.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: RFE: d/l only the header
@ 2004-09-27 16:06   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-09-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> Why don't you use the builtin Gmane spam reporting functions?  See
> (info "(gnus)Gmane Spam Reporting").  IIRC, the relevant functions
> only need/use the headers.

There are two functions, one reports by article number and the other
by the report URL in the headers.  The article number report is VERY
fast, while the header report needs to get the header.  By default the
article number is used but I thought I should mention this anyhow.

Ted

* Re: RFE: d/l only the header
@ 2004-09-27 20:57   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2004-09-27 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Reiner Steib <4.hpr.03.e.f@aheshrefcnz.qr> [2004-09-27 16:45:30 +0200]:
>
> (info "(gnus)Gmane Spam Reporting").  IIRC, the relevant functions
> only need/use the headers.

Gnus manual that comes with Emacs CVS head does not have such a section.
do you have a URL?
thanks!

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
UNIX is a way of thinking.  Windows is a way of not thinking.

* Re: RFE: d/l only the header
@ 2004-09-27 21:42     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-27 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 27 2004, Sam Steingold wrote:

>> * Reiner Steib <4.hpr.03.e.f@aheshrefcnz.qr> [2004-09-27 16:45:30 +0200]:
>>
>> (info "(gnus)Gmane Spam Reporting").
> Gnus manual that comes with Emacs CVS head does not have such a section.

If your Emacs CVS is up to date, it should definitely have this node.
Are you sure that the Gnus info files aren't shadowed by the ones from
Gnus 5.10.3?

> do you have a URL?

The (PDF/PS) manual on www.gnus.org should also have it.

Bye, Reiner.