* No news is bad news--where are my groups?
@ 2002-07-13  3:03 Jordan Katz
From: Jordan Katz @ 2002-07-13  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  Yesterday I switched from Red Hat 6.0 + Emacs 20 to Debian 3.0 (woody)
with Emacs21.  I downloaded the latest version of Gnus, plugged in my old
.gnus file, but it didn't quite work.  When I loaded Gnus it said that the
nntp server couldn't be opened (I'm using mindspring.com to connect and
I'm pretty sure the server's just mindspring.com--if anyone knows
otherwise let me know) but I press 'y' to continue without.  Then, all my
email messages were correctly downloaded, but no groups other than the
ndrafts group were shown.  I have my .gnus file split my mail into groups,
and I checked in ~/Mail and indeed the groups are there--there's a
directory for each group and messages in it.  However, none are displayed.
I tried doing M-x gnus-activate-all-groups but that didn't work.. I also
tried doing U <name of group>, for example U mail.other  but it also
didn't work.  Can someone please help me fix this issue?  My entire .gnus
file is pasted below for reference.

;; Basic settings
(setenv "MM_CHARSET" "iso-8859-1")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "mindspring.com"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))
(setq mail-sources
      '((file)
        (pop :server "mail.underlevel.net"
             :user "underlevel"
             :password "mycoolpassword")))
(setq nnmail-split-methods
  '(("mail.xemacs-list"
"^\\([Cc][Cc]\\|To\\|Sender\\).*xemacs@xemacs.org")
    ("mail.emacs-list" "^\\([Cc][Cc]\\|To\\|Sender\\).*cm@emacs.org")
    ("mail.umlug-list"
"^\\([Cc][Cc]\\|To\\|Sender\\).*um-linux@Glue.umd.edu")
    ("mail.emacs-mail" "^\\([Cc][Cc]\\|To\\|Sender\\).*katz@emacs.org")
    ("mail.rdf-list"
"^\\([Cc][Cc]\\|To\\|Sender\\).*www-rdf-interest@w3.org")
    ("mail.other" "")))
(setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups "\\(mail.*\\)")
(setq message-sendmail-f-is-evil t)

;; Fix the Sender: line
(setq user-mail-address "katz@underlevel.net")
(defun message-make-sender () "katz@underlevel.net")
(setq mail-use-rfc822 t)
(setq message-dont-reply-to-names "webmaster\\|katz")

;; Constantly check mail
(setq gnus-use-demon t)
(defun gnus-demon-scan-news ()
  (when (gnus-alive-p)
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
      (gnus-group-get-new-news))
    )
  )
(defun gnus-demon-my-scan-mail ()
  (when (and (gnus-alive-p) mail-here)
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
      (gnus-group-get-new-news 3)
      )
    )
  )
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 20 5)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-my-scan-mail 20 5)
(gnus-demon-init)
(setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil)
(setq gnus-local-organization "Initech")
(setq gnus-visible-headers
"^From:\\|^To:\\|^Newsgroups:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Followup-To:\\|^Organization:\\|^To:\\|^Cc:\\|^X-Newsreader:\\|^X-Mailer:")
(setq user-mail-default-reply-to "webmaster@underlevel.net")
(setq message-user-organization "Initech")
(setq user-full-name    "Jordan Katz")
(setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)

;; Set topics
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)

;; Line formatting
(setq gnus-group-line-format "%M%S%p%P%5y: %(%G %z%)\n")
(setq gnus-large-newsgroup 100)

;; Old article groups
;; Old mail group
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((let ((current-archive-date-string
	       (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time))))
	  (concat (if (message-news-p)
		      "news-"
		    "mail-")
		  current-archive-date-string))))
(setq gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups ".")
(setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
      (lambda (group)
	(cond ((string-match "umlug-list" group)
	       14)
	      ((string-match "emacs-list" group)
	       1)
	      ((string-match "xemacs-list" group)
	       1)
       	      ((string-match "default" group)
	       365)
	      (t
	       31))))

Thanks a lot!
--
Jordan Katz <webmaster@underlevel.net>

* Re: No news is bad news--where are my groups?
@ 2002-07-13 10:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-13 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jordan Katz <underlevel@abas.host4u.net> writes:

>   Yesterday I switched from Red Hat 6.0 + Emacs 20 to Debian 3.0 (woody)
> with Emacs21.  I downloaded the latest version of Gnus, plugged in my old
> .gnus file, but it didn't quite work.  When I loaded Gnus it said that the
> nntp server couldn't be opened (I'm using mindspring.com to connect and
> I'm pretty sure the server's just mindspring.com--if anyone knows
> otherwise let me know) but I press 'y' to continue without.

Hm, I can't really say much about this.

> Then, all my email messages were correctly downloaded, but no groups
> other than the ndrafts group were shown.  I have my .gnus file split
> my mail into groups, and I checked in ~/Mail and indeed the groups
> are there--there's a directory for each group and messages in it.
> However, none are displayed.  I tried doing M-x
> gnus-activate-all-groups but that didn't work.. I also tried doing U
> <name of group>, for example U mail.other but it also didn't work.
> Can someone please help me fix this issue?  My entire .gnus file is
> pasted below for reference.

The groups are named like nnml+private:mail.other, not just
mail.other.  You can hit ^ to go to the server buffer, then hit RET
or SPC on the nnml server, then use `u' to subscribe to the groups.

kai

* Re: No news is bad news--where are my groups?
@ 2002-07-13 17:35   ` Jordan Katz
From: Jordan Katz @ 2002-07-13 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Kai [iso-8859-15] Großjohann wrote:

> Jordan Katz <underlevel@abas.host4u.net> writes:
>
> >   Yesterday I switched from Red Hat 6.0 + Emacs 20 to Debian 3.0 (woody)
> > with Emacs21.  I downloaded the latest version of Gnus, plugged in my old
> > .gnus file, but it didn't quite work.  When I loaded Gnus it said that the
> > nntp server couldn't be opened (I'm using mindspring.com to connect and
> > I'm pretty sure the server's just mindspring.com--if anyone knows
> > otherwise let me know) but I press 'y' to continue without.
>
> Hm, I can't really say much about this.
>
> > Then, all my email messages were correctly downloaded, but no groups
> > other than the ndrafts group were shown.  I have my .gnus file split
> > my mail into groups, and I checked in ~/Mail and indeed the groups
> > are there--there's a directory for each group and messages in it.
> > However, none are displayed.  I tried doing M-x
> > gnus-activate-all-groups but that didn't work.. I also tried doing U
> > <name of group>, for example U mail.other but it also didn't work.
> > Can someone please help me fix this issue?  My entire .gnus file is
> > pasted below for reference.
>
> The groups are named like nnml+private:mail.other, not just
> mail.other.  You can hit ^ to go to the server buffer, then hit RET
> or SPC on the nnml server, then use `u' to subscribe to the groups.
>
> kai

Hello,

  I was about to try your suggestions, but now when I M-x gnus I get the
error: Mail source error ((error underlevel.net/110 Temporary failure in
 name resolution)).  Continue? (yes or no)

  I have no idea what is causing this--I never got this error yesterday
and my setup haven't changed since.  It's obviously not a server issue
because I'm now accessing my email from the same server in ~/.gnus.

Thanks a lot,
--
Jordan Katz <webmaster@underlevel.net>

* Lazybie question: How to migrate gnus client to different host
@ 2002-11-21  3:00 ` William Goedicke
From: William Goedicke @ 2002-11-21  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Y'all -

I'm making the leap from running my gnus client on my laptop to
running it on a home-based client that I access from the net.  Copying
my .gnus file doesn't capture stuff like my topics hierarchy.  Would
you please advise me as to how I migrate all my mail client
configuration?  TIA.

     Yours -      Billy

     William Goedicke     goedicke@world.std.com
                          http://world.std.com/~goedicke

          Lest we forget:

Good software development involves analyzing and automating the input
and output of the required business functionality.

		- William Goedicke

* Re: Lazybie question: How to migrate gnus client to different host
@ 2002-11-21 13:28   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-11-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 21 2002, William Goedicke wrote:

> I'm making the leap from running my gnus client on my laptop to
> running it on a home-based client that I access from the net.

You didn't mention if you keep the same server(s) (nntp, IMAP, ...).

> Copying my .gnus file doesn't capture stuff like my topics
> hierarchy. Would you please advise me as to how I migrate all my
> mail client configuration? TIA.

Topics and groups are stored in ~/.newsrc.eld
(or~/.newsrc-yourserver.eld). You may copy the whole file or only
parts[1] of it to your new account. But you also need to migrate the
directories ~/News/ and ~/Mail (or at least parts of them).

Bye, Reiner.

[1] (setq gnus-topic-topology ...) But this is useless, if you don't
    have the groups (and servers) listed in this variable.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)