From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc>
Cc: bugs@gnus.org, <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: gnus-parameters: Inconsitency between group parameters and group local variables (was: gcc-self in `gnus-parameters' doesn't work as expected)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:25:57 +0100	[thread overview]

[ Shifting this to ding ]

On Mon, Dec 11 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> No Gnus v0.6
[...]
> I've set up my gnus-parameters as follows:
>
> ,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
> | (setq gnus-parameters
> |       '(("^nnimap\\+Fastmail:INBOX"
> |          (gnus-use-scoring nil)
> |          (gcc-self . t))
> |         ("^nnimap\\+Fastmail:INBOX\\.D-BARF$"
> |          (to-address . "D-BARF@yahoogroups.de")
> |          (subscribed . t)
> |          (gnus-use-scoring t)
> |          (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"))
> |         ("^nnimap\\+Fastmail:INBOX\\.emms-patches$"
> |          (to-address . "emms-patches@gnu.org")
> |          (subscribed . t)
> |          (gnus-use-scoring t)
> |          (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"))))
> `----
>
> Normally I love reading my mail in a newsgroup-like fashion, so the
> first entry in `gnus-parameters' enables gcc-self for all my IMAP groups
> of my Fastmail account and disables scoring, which I don't need for
> mail:
[...]
> Unfortunately, emms-patches and D-BARF are mailing list where
> self-gcc-ing is not what I want. There I want sent mail to go into my
> usual archive group for mail, that is
>
>   "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"

[...]
> I've tried (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"), (gcc-self
> . nil), and (gcc-self . none), but if I write a mail in one of the two
> groups, the gcc-header's value always is nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.D-BARF or
> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.emms-patches (=> (gcc-self . t) still active).

You need to move the more general match "^nnimap\\+Fastmail:INBOX" to
the end of the list:

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^nnimap\\+Fastmail:INBOX\\.D-BARF$"
         (to-address . "D-BARF@yahoogroups.de")
         (subscribed . t)
         (gnus-use-scoring t)
         (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"))
        ;; [...]
	("^nnimap\\+Fastmail:INBOX"
         (gnus-use-scoring nil)
         (gcc-self . t))))

> Soring is enabled for the two groups, so the matches should be correct.

The difference is that `gnus-use-scoring' is a group local variable,
whereas `gcc-self' is a group parameter (dotted list).  Surprisingly,
they behave different:

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^nnimap\\+.*:INBOX"
	 (tmp-variable 11)
	 (display . 11))
        ("^nnimap\\+.*:INBOX\\.test$"
	 (tmp-variable 22)
	 (display . 22))))

When I enter INBOX.test `M-: tmp-variable RET' returns 22 whereas
`M-: (gnus-group-find-parameter gnus-newsgroup-name 'display) RET'
returns 11.

I think this inconsistent behavior should be fixed.  IMHO it would be
better if we choose the same behavior `gnus-posting-styles'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)