* hiding long To and Cc headers in *Article* buffer
@ 2006-12-13 19:53 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2006-12-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

At my extremely large and MS-centric company there is an ingrained and
uncorrectable habit of maintaining explicit mailing lists in MS
Outlook, and putting the entire mailing list explicitly into the To:
or Cc: fields.  When I receive these messages in Gnus, I have to
scroll down for several pages to actually see the text (which is
usually much shorter than the address list!).

Before I got added onto one of these mailing lists, I never needed to
worry about it and was happily setting gnus-visible-headers to a
certain regular expression.  But now ...

What I'm looking for is either

  (1) some sort of "washing" method to remove just the To and Cc
      fields

or

  (2) toggle gnus-visible-headers to a regexp that does not include To
      or CC.

As a hack, I came up with something for 2, but my elisp skills are
rudimentary and I'm getting the commandp syntax wrong.  Any advice on
fixing my solution or getting a (1)-style solution would be much
appreciated!

Thanks, Ted
--
 dodecatheon at gmail dot com
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-visible-headers toggle function, broken --]
[-- Type: application/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 3320 bytes --]

* Re: hiding long To and Cc headers in *Article* buffer
@ 2006-12-13 20:05 ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2006-12-13 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

* dodecatheon@gmail.com [2006-12-13 19:53:15]
> At my extremely large and MS-centric company there is an ingrained and
> uncorrectable habit of maintaining explicit mailing lists in MS
> Outlook, and putting the entire mailing list explicitly into the To:
> or Cc: fields.  When I receive these messages in Gnus, I have to
> scroll down for several pages to actually see the text (which is
> usually much shorter than the address list!).

Does gnus-treat-fold-headers help?

dme.
--
David Edmondson, http://www.dme.org

* Re: hiding long To and Cc headers in *Article* buffer
@ 2006-12-13 22:48 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ (info "(gnus)Hiding Headers") ]
|    You can hide further boring headers by setting
| `gnus-treat-hide-boring-headers' to `head'.  What this function does
| depends on the `gnus-boring-article-headers' variable.  It's a list,
| but this list doesn't actually contain header names.  Instead it lists
| various "boring conditions" that Gnus can check and remove from sight.
|
|    These conditions are:
| [...]
|
| `long-to'
|      Remove the `To' header if it is very long.
`----

The manual doesn't mention it, but `long-to' also applies to "Cc".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: hiding long To and Cc headers in *Article* buffer
@ 2006-12-19 21:24   ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2006-12-19 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Dec 2006 14:48:08 -0800, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13 2006, Ted Stern wrote:
>
>> At my extremely large and MS-centric company there is an ingrained and
>> uncorrectable habit of maintaining explicit mailing lists in MS
>> Outlook, and putting the entire mailing list explicitly into the To:
>> or Cc: fields.  When I receive these messages in Gnus, I have to
>> scroll down for several pages to actually see the text (which is
>> usually much shorter than the address list!).
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Hiding Headers") ]
> |    You can hide further boring headers by setting
> | `gnus-treat-hide-boring-headers' to `head'.  What this function does
> | depends on the `gnus-boring-article-headers' variable.  It's a list,
> | but this list doesn't actually contain header names.  Instead it lists
> | various "boring conditions" that Gnus can check and remove from sight.
> |
> |    These conditions are:
> | [...]
> |
> | `long-to'
> |      Remove the `To' header if it is very long.
> `----
>
> The manual doesn't mention it, but `long-to' also applies to "Cc".
>
> Bye, Reiner.

thanks, problem solved!

Ted