* Re-importing 'Incomingxxxx' file?
@ 2008-03-14  7:04 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2008-03-14  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

How do I get gnus to re-spool mail from ~/Mail/Incomingxxxx?

For some reason none of the mails which arrived overnight are showing in
any of my nnml groups, but are all in one of the ~/Mail/Incomingxxx
files. The manual shows how to set up the location of the Incoming files
and how long they are kept, but I could not see any information on how
to get gnus to re-spool from it.

I am running CVS versions of both emacs and gnus

* Re: Re-importing 'Incomingxxxx' file?
@ 2008-03-14  9:56 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-03-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Murray; +Cc: ding

> How do I get gnus to re-spool mail from ~/Mail/Incomingxxxx?

> For some reason none of the mails which arrived overnight are showing in
> any of my nnml groups, but are all in one of the ~/Mail/Incomingxxx
> files. The manual shows how to set up the location of the Incoming files
> and how long they are kept, but I could not see any information on how
> to get gnus to re-spool from it.

> I am running CVS versions of both emacs and gnus

How about this?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 786 bytes --]

Invoke this command in the group buffer if you'd like to try it.
This command fetches mails from all the Incoming* files as the
`file' type `mail-sources'.  After fetching mails, those Incoming*
files are deleted and new Incoming* files will be generated if
`mail-source-delete-incoming' is a number or nil.  Consider giving
a group level to this command like

  1 M-x my-gnus-group-get-mail-from-old-incoming RET

if you have the foreign groups that are very slow to connect.

Regards,
(I'll be absent till Monday.)

* Re: Re-importing 'Incomingxxxx' file?
@ 2008-03-16 10:27   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, Mar 14 2008, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> How do I get gnus to re-spool mail from ~/Mail/Incomingxxxx?
>
>> For some reason none of the mails which arrived overnight are showing in
>> any of my nnml groups, but are all in one of the ~/Mail/Incomingxxx
>> files. The manual shows how to set up the location of the Incoming files
>> and how long they are kept, but I could not see any information on how
>> to get gnus to re-spool from it.
[...]
> (defun my-gnus-group-get-mail-from-old-incoming (&optional level)
>   "Re-spool mails from old Incoming* files.

Looks useful[1].  But instead of re-spooling all article from all
Incoming* files unconditionally, it would be better to display an
ephemeral group with all the articles and the user could use (`M P b'
and) `B r' or `B c' to pick the missing articles.

Anyhow, for Graham re-importing probably wont work.  See
<news:87ejadv7fn.fsf@newton.gmurray.org.uk> or
<http://thread.gmane.org/87ejadv7fn.fsf@newton.gmurray.org.uk>.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] A low level solution comparable to this is...
      cat Incoming* >> $MAIL
    (Note: No file locking, so you might lose mail.)
--
       ,,,
      (o o)