* Re: problem with system_eol_type
       [not found]   ` <b4mbqr5xled.fsf@jpl.org>
@ 2006-08-09 10:35     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-08-09 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, mule-ja, semi-gnus-ja

;; To see the whole thread, please visit:
;; http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.devel/thread=57837/force_load=t

> I think it is reasonable to use the eol which is system's
> default when saving text files.  Since Gnus uses `raw-text' by
> default to save files in many cases, mail files, for example,
> are now saved with CRLF in DOS machines, otherwise with LF.  It
> will be useful when other programs use those files.  So, I agree
> to the recent behavior of Emacs but am negative to change Gnus'
> default.

[...]

> I don't have an idea how we should do when communicating with
> processes.  Sorry.

In relation to this, ARISAWA Akihiro reported that the compface.el
module bundled with Gnus doesn't work on Windows.  It is because
the line-break code is converted into CRLF by the recent Emacs 22
when communicating with processes, and at least the external
"icontopbm" program does not work with it.

I've fixed it in the Gnus trunk and the v5-10 branch so that
`coding-system-for-write' is bound to `raw-text-unix'.

Regards,

* Re: problem with system_eol_type
@ 2006-08-09 12:27       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-08-09 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, mule-ja, semi-gnus-ja, emacs-devel

> I've fixed it in the Gnus trunk and the v5-10 branch so that
> `coding-system-for-write' is bound to `raw-text-unix'.

Again, may I ask why you chose raw-text-unix rather than the more obviously
correct `binary'?

        Stefan

* Re: problem with system_eol_type
@ 2006-08-09 22:07         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-08-09 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mule-ja, ding, semi-gnus-ja, emacs-devel

>> I've fixed it in the Gnus trunk and the v5-10 branch so that
>> `coding-system-for-write' is bound to `raw-text-unix'.

> Again, may I ask why you chose raw-text-unix rather than the more obviously
> correct `binary'?

There was no other purpose to have used raw-text-unix.  I've
changed it to binary now.  Thanks.

* Re: problem with system_eol_type
@ 2006-08-10  1:13       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-10  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, mule-ja, semi-gnus-ja, emacs-devel

    In relation to this, ARISAWA Akihiro reported that the compface.el
    module bundled with Gnus doesn't work on Windows.  It is because
    the line-break code is converted into CRLF by the recent Emacs 22
    when communicating with processes, and at least the external
    "icontopbm" program does not work with it.

    I've fixed it in the Gnus trunk and the v5-10 branch so that
    `coding-system-for-write' is bound to `raw-text-unix'.

Whatever the right fix is, can you fix it in the Emacs repository too,
please?

* Re: problem with system_eol_type
@ 2006-08-10  7:35         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-08-10  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Thu, Aug 10 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I've fixed it in the Gnus trunk and the v5-10 branch so that
>     `coding-system-for-write' is bound to `raw-text-unix'.
>
> Whatever the right fix is, can you fix it in the Emacs repository too,
> please?

Changes from the stable Gnus branch (v5-10) are (semi-) automatically
propagated to the Emacs repository by Miles Bader (using his arch
repositories).  Usually the delay is only a few days.  (Similar for
the other direction.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,