* merge popfix, pop3 (gnu emacs) and XEmacs version
@ 2005-09-08 16:55 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-09-08 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Some weeks ago I asked the authors of popfix, pop3 (gnu Emacs and
XEmacs version) whether the code could be somehow merged. None of them
should interest in fact they do not longer maintain the code.

So I would like to ask somebody else:

    - to merge  XEmacs  and gnu Emacs  pop3 version:  the  XEmacs
      version has working UIDL the Gnu Emacs version has not.

     - popfix.el  by Glynn allows to  download the  header of the
       messages  and if necessary to delete  them.  (It seems not
       to allow to download  the complete  messages, nor does  it
       provide sorting of author and these sort of things one can
       do with gnus   for example.) Given that:   couldn't popfix
       functionality be   merged either in   pop3 of  gnus or  of
       XEmacs?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: merge popfix, pop3 (gnu emacs) and XEmacs version
@ 2005-09-08 17:47 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-09-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 08 2005, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Some weeks ago I asked the authors of popfix, pop3 (gnu Emacs and
> XEmacs version) whether the code could be somehow merged. None of them
> should interest in fact they do not longer maintain the code.
>
> So I would like to ask somebody else:
>
>     - to merge  XEmacs  and gnu Emacs  pop3 version:  the  XEmacs
>       version has working UIDL the Gnu Emacs version has not.

We cannot merge the XEmacs pop3.el UIDL code into Gnus' version
because we don't have assignments for it or the authorship is unclear.

See the thread <http://thread.gmane.org/b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf%40jpl.org>.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: merge popfix, pop3 (gnu emacs) and XEmacs version
@ 2005-09-08 18:35   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-09-08 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 08 2005, Reiner Steib wrote:

>>     - to merge  XEmacs  and gnu Emacs  pop3 version:  the  XEmacs
>>       version has working UIDL the Gnu Emacs version has not.
>
> We cannot merge the XEmacs pop3.el UIDL code into Gnus' version
> because we don't have assignments for it or the authorship is unclear.

In other words: Someone (who has an assignment on file or is willing
to sign) would have to *rewrite* UIDL support.

CMIIW.  Maybe there is some other possibility.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: merge popfix, pop3 (gnu emacs) and XEmacs version
@ 2005-09-09 16:36   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-09-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Reiner> On Thu, Sep 08 2005, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   >> Some weeks ago  I asked the  authors  of popfix, pop3  (gnu
   >> Emacs and XEmacs version) whether the code could be somehow
   >> merged. None  of them should  interest in fact they do  not
   >> longer maintain the code.
   >>
   >> So I would like to ask somebody else:
   >>
   >> - to merge XEmacs and gnu Emacs pop3 version: the XEmacs
   >> version has working UIDL the Gnu Emacs version has not.

   Reiner> We  cannot merge the  XEmacs pop3.el  UIDL code  into Gnus'
   Reiner> version because  we don't  have assignments  for it or  the
   Reiner> authorship is unclear.

   Reiner> See the thread <http://thread.gmane.org/b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf%40jpl.org>.

Well I think it was Andy Piper who is responsible for that part of the
code. I will ask him and report back,

What  about popfix?

Uwe

* Re: merge popfix, pop3 (gnu emacs) and XEmacs version
@ 2005-09-16 15:24     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-09-16 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 09 2005, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> What about popfix?

[ It's quite hard to find.  Finally I found the code you're most
  probably referring to in
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.xemacs.beta/15978 ]

On a quick glance...

It lacks documentation and author/copyright notices.  Would the author
assign his code?

I suspect that there's some amount of duplicate code (e.g. `pop-send'
and `pop3-send-command').  Would he help to merge it into pop3.el or
(maybe better as a first step) use functions from `pop3' if possible?

I'd suggest to use a proper namespace prefix, say "pop3-summary" and
rename the library accordingly.  I.e. each variable and function
should start with this prefix.

It doesn't work on Emacs (at least the keymap stuff).

Some variables should be defcustomed and many functions should get a
doc string.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,