* gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-12  2:45 clemens fischer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: clemens fischer @ 2002-09-12  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

since using gnus, qmail-inject doesn't use the Envelope-Sender or
Return-Path field to make the envelope sender, instead it always uses
the environment variables [Q]MAILUSER and -HOST.  the manual states it
would use the message fields stated for that.  i have no other
environment variables superceding these, and aside from the
posting-style i have a working user-mail-address setting, only this
setting is sometimes inappropriate.

i don't use VERPs or any options besides -A (use recipients on the
command line _and_ the message headers).  mutt did not have this
"problem".

so how do i make gnus make qmail-inject make the envelope sender from
the message headers somehow?  my posting-styles now specify
Envelope-Sender, Return-Path and Sender, but that doesn't work.

--
clemens

* Re: gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-12  8:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

clemens fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> so how do i make gnus make qmail-inject make the envelope sender from
> the message headers somehow?

You can pass arbitrary args to qmail-inject by way of the variable
message-qmail-inject-args.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-12  9:59 ` Frank Tegtmeyer
From: Frank Tegtmeyer @ 2002-09-12  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

clemens fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> so how do i make gnus make qmail-inject make the envelope sender from
> the message headers somehow?  my posting-styles now specify
> Envelope-Sender, Return-Path and Sender, but that doesn't work.

Hm. It works for me. In .gnus I have:

;; Notwendig fuer qmail-inject
(setq gnus-posting-styles
  '(
     (".*"
       ("Return-Path" "fte@fte.to")
     )
   )
)

(setq message-from-style 'angles)
(setq user-mail-address "fte@fte.to")
(setq mail-host-address "fte.to")

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-qmail)
(setq message-qmail-inject-program "/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject")
(setq message-qmail-inject-args '("-h") )

So "normally" I use fte@fte.to.

Example for a special group setting:

((timestamp 15744 25869)
 (to-address . "qmail@list.cr.yp.to")
 (to-list . "qmail@list.cr.yp.to")
 (auto-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 14)
 (posting-style
  (address "fte-sub-qmail@fte.to")
  (return-path "fte-sub-qmail@fte.to")))

Regards, Frank

* Re: gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-12 15:23 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

clemens fischer <ino@despammed.com> wrote:
> since using gnus, qmail-inject doesn't use the Envelope-Sender or
> Return-Path field to make the envelope sender,

The qmail-inject man page doesn't mention Envelope-Sender.

> the manual states it would use the message fields stated for that.

Are you passing -f?  Or do you have "s" included in $QMAILINJECT?

> i don't use VERPs or any options besides -A (use recipients on the
> command line _and_ the message headers).

That's not exactly what -A means.  But Gnus doesn't pass recipients on
the command line, so unless you do with message-qmail-inject-args, the
difference doesn't matter.

> my posting-styles now specify Envelope-Sender, Return-Path and
> Sender, but that doesn't work.

Can you show us your posting-style setting?

paul

* Re: gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-12 23:21   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-12 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> The qmail-inject man page doesn't mention Envelope-Sender.

but it mentions Return-Path.

> Are you passing -f?  Or do you have "s" included in $QMAILINJECT?

i had not, but i experimented with `s' also.

> Can you show us your posting-style setting?

i'm glad you asked, because i've got the solution in there :)

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (name "clemens fischer")
	 (signature "clemens")
	 (address
           (cadr (setq message-qmail-inject-args `("-f" ,user-mail-address))))
        )
	((header "Newsgroups" ".")
	 ("Mail-Copies-To" "nobody")
	 (name "Clemens Fischer")
	 (address
           (cadr (setq message-qmail-inject-args '("-f" "ino@despammed.com"))))
	 (signature "clemens")
	)
        ; [...]
))

> paul

btw, how do i get rid of the signature separator "^-- \n" without
getting gnus washing and hiding into trouble?  i usually sign with my
first name, if at all, but for this i wouldn't need it.

--
clemens

* signature separator (was: gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-13 19:58     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-13 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> wrote:
> btw, how do i get rid of the signature separator "^-- \n"

You could use an appropriately-timed hook to remove it, or you could
avoid using "signature" in your posting styles.

> without getting gnus washing and hiding into trouble?

I don't think the outgoing message stuff interferes with reading
messages you've received.

paul

* Re: gnus+qmail:  set envelope sender?
@ 2002-09-13 20:25     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-13 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> 	 (address
>            (cadr (setq message-qmail-inject-args `("-f" ,user-mail-address))))
>         )

I think that's not a good idea.  I think you can set local variables
from posting styles.  Why not use that feature?

You might have to add message-qmail-inject-args to
gnus-newsgroup-variables, though.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-14 17:59       ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-14 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 	 (address
>>            (cadr (setq message-qmail-inject-args `("-f" ,user-mail-address))))
>>         )
>
> I think that's not a good idea.  I think you can set local variables
> from posting styles.  Why not use that feature?

but that's what i'm doing!  also, the info page states that attributes
in list-form get eval'ed.

> You might have to add message-qmail-inject-args to
> gnus-newsgroup-variables, though.

well, to be honest, i don't know which of these features i can trust
more, and i have this strong feeling towards keeping related stuff in
one place.  i'm currently spending most of my days tweaking and
"frobbing" my emacs/gnus configurations.  should i live to see the day
when i have the overview over all of gnus, i may lay my head at rest
and maybe move variables around for an hour or two ... ;)

--

@ 2002-09-15 14:54         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Grojohann) writes:
>
>>> 	 (address
>>>            (cadr (setq message-qmail-inject-args `("-f" ,user-mail-address))))
>>>         )
>>
>> I think that's not a good idea.  I think you can set local variables
>> from posting styles.  Why not use that feature?
>
> but that's what i'm doing!

No, you're executing Lisp code by side-effect from a place where this
is not intended to happen.

> also, the info page states that attributes in list-form get eval'ed.

Yes.  I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying it's bad style.

It's like avoiding "goto" in imperative programming languages.

>> You might have to add message-qmail-inject-args to
>> gnus-newsgroup-variables, though.
>
> well, to be honest, i don't know which of these features i can trust
> more, and i have this strong feeling towards keeping related stuff in
> one place.

Well, you can put the two Lisp statements together in your .gnus...

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: signature separator
@ 2002-09-16 11:36       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-09-16 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 13 2002, Paul Jarc wrote:

> Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> wrote:
>> btw, how do i get rid of the signature separator "^-- \n"
>
> You could use an appropriately-timed hook to remove it, or you could
> avoid using "signature" in your posting styles.

I think Clemens should use "body" instead of "signature":

,----[ <info://gnus/Posting+Styles> ]
`----

> I don't think the outgoing message stuff interferes with reading
> messages you've received.

ACK:

,----[ M-x apropos variable signature.*sep RET ]
| gnus-signature-separator
|   Variable: Regexp matching signature separator.
| message-signature-separator
|   Variable: Regexp matching the signature separator.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,