* Re: mime easily obscured
       [not found] <877j77qhxu.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2006-03-07 11:06 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs

[ Adding ding@gnus.org; Dan, maybe you could send your reports to
  ding@gnus.org instead of bugs@gnus.org? ]

On Tue, Mar 07 2006, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> The average user would never learn of the main attachment message of
> this mail. Even after hitting K b.

> $ perl -nwe 'printf "%03d:%s",$.,$_ if /^Content-Type|type=|^-+=/' bla
> 032:Content-Type: multipart/related;
> 033:    type="multipart/alternative";
> 053:------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C63EF8.0E293170
> 054:Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
> 058:------=_NextPart_001_001C_01C63EF8.0E2B7B60
> 059:Content-Type: text/plain;
> 086:------=_NextPart_001_001C_01C63EF8.0E2B7B60
> 087:Content-Type: text/html;
> 234:------=_NextPart_001_001C_01C63EF8.0E2B7B60--
> 236:------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C63EF8.0E293170
> 237:Content-Type: image/jpeg;
> 747:------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C63EF8.0E293170
> 748:Content-Type: image/jpeg;
> 823:------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C63EF8.0E293170--

I'm not a MIME parser, but I guess you refer to an image/* inside a
multipart/related MIME part.

Does this help?

,----[ (info "(gnus)MIME Commands") ]
| `gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed'
|      Display "multipart/related" parts as "multipart/mixed".
|
|      If displaying "text/html" is discouraged, see
|      `mm-discouraged-alternatives' in *Note Display Customization:
|      (emacs-mime)Display Customization, images or other material
|      inside a "multipart/related" part might be overlooked when this
|      variable is `nil'.
`----

If not, please provide an anonymized message showing the problem.
`gnus-summary-enter-digest-group' might also be useful:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Really Various Summary Commands") ]
| `A D'
| `C-d'
|      If the current article is a collection of other articles (for
|      instance, a digest), you might use this command to enter a group
|      based on the that article (`gnus-summary-enter-digest-group').
|      Gnus will try to guess what article type is currently displayed
|      unless you give a prefix to this command, which forces a "digest"
|      interpretation.  Basically, whenever you see a message that is a
|      collection of other messages of some format, you `C-d' and read
|      these messages in a more convenient fashion.
`----

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: There was a typo in the description of
      `gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed' in (info
      "(gnus)MIME Commands")
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: mime easily obscured
@ 2006-03-13 18:21   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2006-03-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

R> [ Adding ding@gnus.org; Dan, maybe you could send your reports to
R>   ding@gnus.org instead of bugs@gnus.org? ]
Well, OK, even though I don't think that's where the Debian documents
say to send.

Indeed, gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed has put my life
back on track. Thanks.