From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Subject: Re: Huh...? euc-jp...?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:34:12 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 23 2006, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Platform: Intel Pentium M, ubuntu breezy
> 	  GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2005-05-03 on rothera, modified by Debian
> 	  No Gnus v0.4 (last updated February 2 2006)
[...]
> This is the paragraph, that might do the same to this posting...?

Yes...

>   Still, the switch to Intel is a necessary one from an engineering
>   standpoint, he said, because Apple needed a way to improve
>   performance per watt. Mr. Wozniak would have liked Apple to continue
>   using Motorola processors, but “Intel just did a very good logic
>   design.”
>
> I guess the quotes are the culprits, but I still can't see what made
> it pick euc-jp?

As Emacs 21 cannot do CJK->UTF-8 unification, Emacs is unable to
convert the chars to UTF-8.  There's nothing Gnus can do about this.

In Emacs 22 it works correctly (see `utf-translate-cjk-mode' in the
NEWS file):

| also known as “The Wizard of Woz,” or even “the other Steve” — made

(In Emacs 21 I get literal "\u2014" and "\u201c" here (6 chars each)
when pasting from Firefox.)

We already discussed similar problems in the German Gnus[1] and
general newsreader[2] groups when pasting from man pages.  It might
occur only with a certain combination of locales and program versions
(X server?).  All people with this problems were using Debian.  I
couldn't reproduce this problems on SuSE.

This posting will be in utf-8 if `utf-translate-cjk-mode' works
correctly.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] July 2004 in de.comm.software.gnus:
    http://www.google.de/groups?as_umsgid=v93c3z1ro6.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de&hl=en

[2] January 2006 in de.comm.software.newsreader
    <v9u0bvvtnw.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
    http://www.google.de/groups?as_umsgid=v9u0bvvtnw.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de&hl=en
--
       ,,,