From: Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Disabling adaptive scoring for particular groups
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:40:33 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jan 21 2003, Matt Armstrong wrote:

> Frank Haun <pille3003@fhaun.de> writes:
[...]
>> The following doesn't work, should it?
>>
>> ;; still getting nnml*.ADAPT files
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '(("^nnml"
>> 	 (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil))))
>>
>> I found a solution, but is this the correct way by setting the variable
>> `gnus-newsgroup-adaptive'?
>>
>> ;; no nnml*.ADAPT files
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '(("^nnml"
>> 	 (gnus-newsgroup-adaptive nil))))

I can confirm both of Frank's observations: The unwanted creation of
nnimap:*.ADAPT files and his solution (I'd say "workaround", because
`gnus-newsgroup-adaptive' isn't supposed to be a user option;
Unfortunately I don't grok the relevant code in gnus-score.el).

> Last time I checked the adaptive scoring portion of the manual, it
> said to turn adaptive scoring on or off in score files.

In Gnus, there's not only way to do it.  `gnus-use-adaptive-scoring'
is one way.  It's mentioned in the manual [1] and it's doc-string
suggests that it should be used for this purpose:

,----[ C-h v gnus-use-adaptive-scoring RET ]
| gnus-use-adaptive-scoring's value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, use some adaptive scoring scheme.
| If a list, then the values `word' and `line' are meaningful.  The
| former will perform adaption on individual words in the subject
| header while `line' will perform adaption on several headers.
`----

It's not a nice solution to create nnml:all.SCORE, nnimap:all.SCORE,
nnfolder:all.SCORE, ... for all kind of back ends.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] (Info-goto-node "(gnus)Adaptive Scoring")
--
       ,,,
      (o o)