* Re: feature proposal gnus-summary-respool-article in a specific group
@ 2005-07-26 11:57 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-07-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:10:59 +0000, Uwe wrote:

> when using gnus-summary-respool-article specifying the backend
> (nnml) and a server, the function drags the article always in the
> mail.misc group. According to doc string of that function it seems
> not possible to specify a group.

> Could that be implemented.

That would be quite odd, I think.

'Respool' roughly means "run through the splitting rules, placing the
email where they say it should go".

What you want sounds like gnus-summary-move-article, bound to 'B m' in
the summary.

  Best regards,

--
 "Lawrence of Suburbia                                        Adam Sjøgren
  Real life is murder"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: feature proposal gnus-summary-respool-article in a specific group
@ 2005-07-26 12:09 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-07-26 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 26 2005, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> when using gnus-summary-respool-article specifying the backend (nnml)
> and a server, the function drags the article always in the mail.misc
> group. According  to doc string of that function it seems not possible to
> specify a group.
>
> Could that be implemented.

`B m'?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: feature proposal gnus-summary-respool-article in a specific group
@ 2005-07-26 12:38     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-07-26 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:19:43 +0000, Uwe wrote:

> [...]

Adam> 'Respool' roughly means "run through the splitting rules, placing the
Adam> email where they say it should go".
>                      ^^^^
> but where is where?  It will go to *every*  mail.misc group of *every*
> nnml server.

Read Reiner Steibs reply concerning that.

(It has been ages since I used pop3, so I can't help with those
specifics).

Adam> What you want sounds like gnus-summary-move-article, bound to 'B
Adam> m' in the summary.

> Does not work say for nndoc

Moving doesn't work for read-only groups, obviusly (a move deletes
from original place).

Your option for such groups is to use gnus-summary-copy-article bound
to 'B c'.

  Best regards,

--

@ 2005-07-26 13:10 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-26 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

when using gnus-summary-respool-article specifying the backend (nnml)
and a server, the function drags the article always in the mail.misc
group. According  to doc string of that function it seems not possible to
specify a group.

Could that be implemented.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: feature proposal gnus-summary-respool-article in a specific group
@ 2005-07-26 14:19   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-26 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Adam> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:10:59 +0000, Uwe wrote:

   >> when using gnus-summary-respool-article specifying the backend
   >>  (nnml) and a  server, the function  drags the article always in
   >> the mail.misc group. According to doc string of that function it
   >> seems not possible to specify a group.

   >> Could that be implemented.

   Adam> That would be quite odd, I think.

   Adam> 'Respool' roughly means "run through the splitting rules, placing the
   Adam> email where they say it should go".
                     ^^^^
but where is where?  It will go to *every*  mail.misc group of *every*
nnml server. Now   if you want to  have  your mail from  a  pop3 to be
handled with the nnml backend, that mail  ends up in *every* mail.misc
of *every* nnml server. That is already *odd* enough. But if
additionally the respool function places spooled msg also in these
groups that even *cumbersome*.

   Adam> What you want sounds like gnus-summary-move-article, bound to 'B m' in
   Adam> the summary.

Does not work say for nndoc

Uwe

* Re: feature proposal gnus-summary-respool-article in a specific group
@ 2005-07-26 14:51       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Adam> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:19:43 +0000, Uwe wrote:

   >> Does not work say for nndoc

   Adam>  Moving doesn't work for read-only groups, obviusly (a move
   Adam> deletes from original place).

   Adam> Your option for such groups is to use
   Adam> gnus-summary-copy-article bound to 'B c'.

Oops you are right, I thought I tried that out as well. Now I suggest
then that some comments should be added to the section

 6.3.8 Incorporating Old Mail

Of the gnus manual, from which I obtained my information.

Thanks

Uwe