From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: 5.10 summary menubar broken on XEmacs
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:20:03 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Apr 02 2005, Adrian Aichner wrote:

> Steve Youngs <steve@youngs.au.com> writes:
[...]
>> The menubar in the summary buffer is broken on XEmacs[1] with Gnus
>> 5.10.7.  Trying to access any menu in the summary buffer with a mouse
>> gives:
>>
>>   "Unrecognized menu descriptor", t
[...]
> The error message is printed by
>
>        ;; (t (signal 'error (list "unrecognized menu descriptor" menuitem))))
>        (t (message "unrecognized menu descriptor %s" (prin1-to-string menuitem))))
[...]
> (t ["Respool article..." gnus-summary-respool-article t]

Does the problem also appear in Gnus 5.10.6?  If not, could you revert
my 2004-10-18 change[1] in `gnus-sum.el' and see if the problem goes
away?

This is this only change directly related to the summary buffer menu.
Probably (I don't have CVS access here) it contained this hunk:

,----[ 5.10.6 vs. current v5-10 ]
|               ["Print with Muttprint..." gnus-summary-muttprint t]
| -             ["Print" gnus-summary-print-article t])
| -            ("Backend"
| +             ["Print" gnus-summary-print-article
| +              ,@(if (featurep 'xemacs) '(t)
| +                  '(:help "Generate and print a PostScript image"))])
| +            ("Copy, move,... (Backend)"
| +             ,@(if (featurep 'xemacs) '(t)
| +                 '(:help "Copying, moving, expiring articles..."))
|               ["Respool article..." gnus-summary-respool-article t]
`----

As this change is also in the trunk, I'm quite surprised that we
didn't get complaints from XEmacs users up to now.

BTW, are these (if (featurep 'xemacs) ...) conditionals still
necessary?  IOW, does XEmacs' easy-menu-define allow the help text
(tool tip) argument?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] 2004-10-18  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-make-menu-bar): Add help texts.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)