From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Subject: Re: Support for slrn-style verbatim marks
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:53:00 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 27 2005, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> I \201 in front of every non-ASCII character (Emacs/22.0.50).  The
>> saved MIME part (loading the file saved with `o') also is encoded as
>> `emacs-mule-unix'.
>
> Yes, it is caused by inserting decoded unibyte text into the
> multibyte buffer.  I've fixed it in the CVS trunk.

Thanks!

Maybe we could improve the documentation.  The doc-string of
`mm-make-handle' didn't explain that I should use
  TYPE = '("text/plain" (charset . gnus-decoded))
instead of
  ENCODING = 'what-ever
here.

,----[ <f1> f mm-make-handle RET ]

`----

> Consequently, I made unrelated changes to displaying of
> text/verbatim parts,

In case it wasn't clear: I invented the type "text/verbatim" (I don't
think it's used anywhere else).  If it is possible to get the same
result with an existing (and suitable) MIME type, say "text/plain", we
should use that instead.

The result I had in mind should include:

(1) Display a button so that the user can easily save, pipe, ... the
    part (the button should not be collapsed).

(2) The part should be displayed inline.

(3) The part should be fontified using the `mm-uu-extract' face.

Your addition of "text/verbatim" to `mm-automatic-display' cancels
(1).

OTOT: The user can press `K b' and then process the part.  And the
article buffer isn't cluttered with buttons.  I don't have a strong
opinion on this.  Opinions?

Using "text/verbatim" (instead of "text/plain") allows customizing the
display using `gnus-buttonized-mime-types' or
`gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,