* Re: CVS update of gnus/lisp (7 files)
       [not found] <E1CbpKS-0001C7-00@quimby.gnus.org>
@ 2004-12-08  1:17 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-12-08  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

>     Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2004 @ 01:05:12
>   Author: cvs

> Modified: ChangeLog gnus-registry.el gnus-sum.el gnus-util.el message.el
>           nnmail.el pop3.el

The recent changes in gnus-registry.el[1], gnus-util.el[2],
message.el[3] and pop3.el[4] are unwanted for the Gnus trunk
because:

[1] `puthash' is built-in in Emacs 21.
[2] `replace-regexp-in-string' is always available in Emacs 21.
[3] Now the `message-hidden' property is not used.
[4] `pop3-md5' is useless.

Regards,

* Re: CVS update of gnus/lisp (7 files)
@ 2004-12-08  1:27   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-12-08  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Miles Bader, ding

> The recent changes in gnus-registry.el[1], gnus-util.el[2],
> message.el[3] and pop3.el[4] are unwanted for the Gnus trunk
> because:

Ok.

Is there a policy that the Gnus trunk doesn't support old versions of Emacs?

Thanks,

-Miles

* Re: CVS update of gnus/lisp (7 files)
@ 2004-12-08  3:01     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-12-08  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: miles, ding

>> The recent changes in gnus-registry.el[1], gnus-util.el[2],
>> message.el[3] and pop3.el[4] are unwanted for the Gnus trunk
>> because:

> Ok.

> Is there a policy that the Gnus trunk doesn't support old versions of Emacs?

Yes, the Gnus trunk suppors Emacs 21.x and XEmacs 21.4 and 21.5.

* Re: CVS update of gnus/lisp (7 files)
@ 2004-12-13 18:39     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-12-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: miles, Katsumi Yamaoka, ding

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, snogglethorpe@gmail.com wrote:

>> The recent changes in gnus-registry.el[1], gnus-util.el[2],
>> message.el[3] and pop3.el[4] are unwanted for the Gnus trunk
>> because:
>
> Is there a policy that the Gnus trunk doesn't support old versions
> of Emacs?

I think the general policy is to code for the latest official Emacs.
Backwards compatibility is nice but not imperative.  This is just my
understanding, though.

I think supporting Emacs 20 is, realistically speaking, not desirable
because of the many useful functions in Emacs 21 (like puthash) we'd
have to emulate.  Yes, it can be done in every source file, but why
not just have a gnus-c20.el or something like that to provide the
compatibility layer to Emacs 20?  Moreover, is there a sizeable Emacs
20 user base we want to support rather than force into upgrading?

I don't know the answers to the last question :)  It seems to me from
discussions here and on emacs-devel, however, that the answer is "no."

Ted

* Supported (X)Emacs version (was: CVS update of gnus/lisp (7 files))
@ 2004-12-13 23:49       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-12-13 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 13 2004, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, snogglethorpe@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
>> Is there a policy that the Gnus trunk doesn't support old versions
>> of Emacs?
>
> I think the general policy is to code for the latest official Emacs.
> Backwards compatibility is nice but not imperative.  This is just my
> understanding, though.

The official policy is written in (info "(gnus)Emacsen"):

,----[ (info "(gnus)Emacsen") ]
| Gnus should work on:
|
|    * Emacs 21.1 and up.
|
|    * XEmacs 21.4 and up.
|
|    This Gnus version will absolutely not work on any Emacsen older than
| that.  Not reliably, at least.  Older versions of Gnus may work on older
| Emacs versions.
`----

For the Gnus 5.10 series (and thus the v5-10 branch) it's Emacs 20.7
and XEmacs 21.1.  When starting No Gnus, everyone on this list agreed
that we should drop support for Emacs 20 and XEmacs 21.1 because
supporting those outdated versions makes the code less readable and
harder to maintain (IIRC).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,