* face aliases
@ 2006-01-23 21:37 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2006-01-23 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

When the face names where changed in emacs CVS to not include the
-face suffix a lot of statements of the form:

(put 'gnus-group-news-1-face 'face-alias 'gnus-group-news-1)

where added so that the old face name was still available in case
people had customized it.

But a lot of these faces faces that got this treatment did not appear
in a previously released version of Emacs, so for these faces the
`put' statements are just pure waste.
At some point I went over the Emacs CVS and deleted all those `put'
statements for faces that were not in emacs-21.4. I didn't do that for
Gnus because I didn't know what the procedure should be for Gnus.
Should I just do those changes in Emacs CVS and they get imported in
Gnus CVS? Or should I provide a patch here and someone would commit
the patch to both Gnus and Emacs?
Please advise.

Thanks
        --dan

* Re: face aliases
@ 2006-01-23 22:48 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-23 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, Jan 23 2006, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> But a lot of these faces faces that got this treatment did not appear
> in a previously released version of Emacs, so for these faces the
> `put' statements are just pure waste.
> At some point I went over the Emacs CVS and deleted all those `put'
> statements for faces that were not in emacs-21.4.

As Gnus is released separately (and we had Gnus 5.10.1 ... 5.10.6
beyond 5.9 which is bundle with Emacs 21).  I'm not sure if we should
delete the gnus*-face alias which are not in Emacs 21 / Gnus 5.9.

> I didn't do that for Gnus because I didn't know what the procedure
> should be for Gnus.  Should I just do those changes in Emacs CVS and
> they get imported in Gnus CVS? Or should I provide a patch here and
> someone would commit the patch to both Gnus and Emacs?  Please
> advise.

You can simply commit changes to Emacs CVS (they are synced
automatically to Gnus CVS by Miles Bader).  However I'd appreciate if
non-trivial changes are discussed on this list (Cc-ing emacs-devel if
you like).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,