* Re: A bug in doc string of `gnus-level-unsubscribed'?
       [not found] <m2ir9usdxt.fsf@sl392.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk>
@ 2007-06-11 17:37 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-06-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Gnus

[ Please report Gnus issues directly to the Gnus list ding@gnus.org,
  or at least Cc ding ]

On Mon, Jun 11 2007, Leo wrote:

> ,----
> | gnus-level-unsubscribed is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
> | Its value is 7
> |

> | Documentation:
> | Groups with levels less than or equal to this variable are unsubscribed.
> | Groups with levels less than `gnus-level-subscribed', which should be
> | less than this variable, are subscribed.
> `----
>
> The first 'less' should be 'more', right?

No, see (info "(gnus)Group Levels").  Is the following doc string more
clear?

| gnus-level-unsubscribed is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
| Its value is 7
|

| Documentation:
| Groups with levels less than or equal to this variable are
| unsubscribed.  Groups with levels less than `gnus-level-subscribed',
| which should be less than this variable, are subscribed.  Groups
| with levels from `gnus-level-subscribed' (exclusive) upto this
| variable (inclusive) are unsubscribed.  See also
| `gnus-level-zombie', `gnus-level-killed' and the Info node `Group
| Levels' for details.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

From: Leo @ 2007-06-11 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

----- Reiner Steib (2007-06-11) wrote:-----

> [ Please report Gnus issues directly to the Gnus list ding@gnus.org,
>   or at least Cc ding ]
>
> On Mon, Jun 11 2007, Leo wrote:
>
>> ,----
>> | gnus-level-unsubscribed is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
>> | Its value is 7
>> |

>> | Documentation:
>> | Groups with levels less than or equal to this variable are unsubscribed.
>> | Groups with levels less than `gnus-level-subscribed', which should be
>> | less than this variable, are subscribed.
>> `----
>>
>> The first 'less' should be 'more', right?
>
> No, see (info "(gnus)Group Levels").  Is the following doc string more
> clear?

> | gnus-level-unsubscribed is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
> | Its value is 7
> |

> | Documentation:
> | Groups with levels less than or equal to this variable are
> | unsubscribed.

This sentence looks redundant to me. The rest is clear.

@ 2007-07-02 19:07     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: ding, emacs-pretest-bug

On Mon, Jun 11 2007, Leo wrote:

>> Is the following doc string more clear?

>> | gnus-level-unsubscribed is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
>> | Its value is 7
>> |

>> | Documentation:
>> | Groups with levels less than or equal to this variable are
>> | unsubscribed.
>
> This sentence looks redundant to me. The rest is clear.

The first sentence should fit in 80 columns including "  Variable: "
prepended.  So I tried to find a useful first line.  Does anyone have
a better suggestion?

>> | Groups with levels less than `gnus-level-subscribed', which should
>> | be less than this variable, are subscribed.  Groups with levels from
>> | `gnus-level-subscribed' (exclusive) upto this variable (inclusive)
>> | are unsubscribed.  See also `gnus-level-zombie', `gnus-level-killed'
>> | and the Info node `Group Levels' for details.
>> `----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,