* making separate messages from a single one
@ 2008-01-07 17:26 Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2008-01-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I asked someone to resend all messages we've exchanged last year, since
I've lost them.  However, this person sent me a single message with all
of these message in some form "digest" mode, from what looks like MS
Outlook.  I'd like to separate all the messages into individual ones to
make it easier to read.  I notice that the message has the following
header line:

and this line does appear to separate the different messages.  Is there
some mechanism in GNUS to accomplish what I'm trying to do?  I can't
find a relevant section in the manual.  Thanks in advance.

--
Seb

* Re: making separate messages from a single one
@ 2008-01-07 19:30 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2008-01-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque@gmail.com> writes:

> I asked someone to resend all messages we've exchanged last year, since
> I've lost them.  However, this person sent me a single message with all
> of these message in some form "digest" mode, from what looks like MS
> Outlook.  I'd like to separate all the messages into individual ones to
> make it easier to read.  I notice that the message has the following
> header line:

> and this line does appear to separate the different messages.  Is there
> some mechanism in GNUS to accomplish what I'm trying to do?  I can't
> find a relevant section in the manual.  Thanks in advance.

Maybe C-d does what you want?

 C-d runs the command gnus-summary-enter-digest-group
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
 It is bound to C-d, A D, <menu-bar> <Article> <Enter digest buffer>.
 (gnus-summary-enter-digest-group &optional force)

 Enter an nndoc group based on the current article.
 If force, force a digest interpretation.  If not, try
 to guess what the document format is.

Bjørn
--
Lassie was lesbian, huh?  So, the Earth is flat

* Re: making separate messages from a single one
@ 2008-01-07 20:10   ` Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2008-01-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:30:27 +0100,
Bjørn Mork <bmork@dod.no> wrote:

[...]

>  C-d runs the command gnus-summary-enter-digest-group which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.  It is bound to
> C-d, A D, <menu-bar> <Article> <Enter digest buffer>.
> (gnus-summary-enter-digest-group &optional force)

>  Enter an nndoc group based on the current article.  If force, force a
> digest interpretation.  If not, try to guess what the document format
> is.

Yes, thank you.  However, although it results in the correct separate
messages, they are all from the same original author.  In other words,
the correct message ends up buried in a message from the original author
who sent me the digest.  I probably need a second step after that.

--

@ 2008-01-07 20:37 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-01-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Jan 07 2008, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:

> However, this person sent me a single message with all of these
> message in some form "digest" mode, from what looks like MS Outlook.

How about looking up "digest" in the Gnus manual?  ;-)
`C-h i d m gnus RET', `i digest RET', `,', `,' leads to:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Really Various Summary Commands") ]
| `A D'
| `C-d'
|      If the current article is a collection of other articles (for
|      instance, a digest), you might use this command to enter a group
|      based on the that article (`gnus-summary-enter-digest-group').
|      Gnus will try to guess what article type is currently displayed
|      unless you give a prefix to this command, which forces a "digest"
|      interpretation.  Basically, whenever you see a message that is a
|      collection of other messages of some format, you `C-d' and read
|      these messages in a more convenient fashion.
`----

I'm not sure if it works whatever M$ Outlook calls "digest", though.
But this looks quite promising:

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,