* Something about charsets is broken in message mode
@ 2003-12-09 17:50 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-12-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

After I switched from Windows to Linux, I have some difficulties in
message mode which I think indicate bugs.

First of all flyspell: Flyspell and ispell work in every Emacs buffer
but not when I'm in message mode. There words containing Umlauts like
"über" aren't recognized. I can't even search for words containing
Umlauts, Emacs says "no match" as well as the word is definitely
there. In other buffers, this is no problem too.

I use a GTK-CVS-Head-Emacs from late November and todays CVS Gnus.
$LANG is set to en_US.ISO8859-15 language environment isn't set by me,
but if I chose ISO-latin-9 it doesn't make a difference.

An other strange thing: If I say C-h v buffer-file-coding-system in a
message buffer the value is emacs-mule-dos as well as I'm on a Unix
system. Could the reason be, that I use my old mail folders from
Windows?

BTW: Outgoing mails and news are encoded in UTF-8 as I say
(setq mm-coding-system-priorities '(mule-utf-8)) in .gnus. Wouldn't it
make much more sense to save drafts in Unicode, too?

I can fix the flyspell problem by saying
(require 'ispell)
(add-to-list 'ispell-local-dictionary-alist
      '("ndeutsch8-15"
        "[a-zA-Z\xf44\xf56\xf5c\xf5f\xf64\xf76\xf7c]"
        "[^a-zA-Z\xf44\xf56\xf5c\xf5f\xf64\xf76\xf7c]"
        "[']" t
        ("-C" "-d" "ndeutsch")
        "~latin1" iso-8859-15))
in .gnus but this is only a dirty hack and doesn't fix the other
problems described above.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: Something about charsets is broken in message mode
@ 2003-12-09 18:52 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-09 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 09 2003, Frank Schmitt wrote:

> If I say C-h v buffer-file-coding-system in a message buffer the
> value is emacs-mule-dos as well as I'm on a Unix system.

Cannot reproduce this here (with CVS-Head-Emacs of 2003-11-25 or
21.3).  I get ...

,----

`----

> Could the reason be, that I use my old mail folders from Windows?

Dunno.  Does it happen only when re-editing old "DOS-drafts" or
replying to old mail?

> BTW: Outgoing mails and news are encoded in UTF-8 as I say
> (setq mm-coding-system-priorities '(mule-utf-8)) in .gnus.
> Wouldn't it make much more sense to save drafts in Unicode, too?

Probably this will break XEmacs (Cf. the changes around 2002-11-06.).

,----[ C-h v message-draft-coding-system RET ]
| message-draft-coding-system's value is emacs-mule
|
| Documentation:
| *Coding system to compose mail.
| If you'd like to make it possible to share draft files between XEmacs
| and Emacs, you may use `iso-2022-7bit' for this value at your own risk.
| Note that the coding-system `iso-2022-7bit' isn't suitable to all data.
|
| Defined in `message'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--