* sort by reverse date & bbdb
@ 2004-05-29  6:16 Ding Lei
From: Ding Lei @ 2004-05-29  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
1. C-c C-s C-d does sort by date, what's the combo for sort by reverse date?
2. I installed bbdb, and I could see messages like "Parsing BBDB..." when I starts
Gnus, but how do I add an contact to BBDB from my incoming email, or choose a contact
when I compose a new mail? I read the BBDB manual & also tried to search that in google
but no results.

Thanks in advance.

--
Yours,

   <<<:::::   D i n g    L e i   ::::::>>
 ||                                      ||
 || Ext: 8106                            ||
 || Email: <dinglei [A] ipanel [O] cn>   ||
 || Dept. Of Technology/Engineering      ||
 || Embedded Information Services Inc.   ||
 ||                                      ||
<((((((    =====================     )))))>>>

i'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be
living apart.
		-- e. e. cummings

* Re: sort by reverse date & bbdb
@ 2004-05-29 20:16 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2004-05-29 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ding Lei writes:

  Ding> Hello,
  Ding> 1. C-c C-s C-d does sort by date, what's the combo for sort by
  Ding>    reverse date?

Try prefix it with C-u C-c C-s C-d.  Lots of command has alternative
behaviour if given the C-u prefix.  Also, some command takes numeric prefix.
For eg: C-u 7 C-n moves your cursor down 7 lines.

--
Danny Dick-Fung Siu              mailto:dsiu@adobe.com
Advanced Technology Group @ Adobe Systems Incorporated

* Re: sort by reverse date & bbdb
@ 2004-05-30 15:35   ` Ding Lei
From: Ding Lei @ 2004-05-30 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> Ding Lei writes:
>
>   Ding> Hello,
>   Ding> 1. C-c C-s C-d does sort by date, what's the combo for sort by
>   Ding>    reverse date?
>
> Try prefix it with C-u C-c C-s C-d.  Lots of command has alternative
> behaviour if given the C-u prefix.  Also, some command takes numeric prefix.
> For eg: C-u 7 C-n moves your cursor down 7 lines.
Ah it works. Thanks!
but  .. what's the corresponding lisp command? what's the reverse for (gnus-summary-sort-by-date) ??

And how do I customize default sorting methods for different groups?
Thank you!

@ 2004-05-30 16:14     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-05-30 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ding Lei <dinglei@ipanel.cn> writes:

> Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:
>
>> Ding Lei writes:
>>
>>   Ding> Hello,
>>   Ding> 1. C-c C-s C-d does sort by date, what's the combo for sort by
>>   Ding>    reverse date?
>>
>> Try prefix it with C-u C-c C-s C-d.  Lots of command has alternative
>> behaviour if given the C-u prefix.  Also, some command takes numeric prefix.
>> For eg: C-u 7 C-n moves your cursor down 7 lines.
> Ah it works. Thanks!  but .. what's the corresponding lisp command?
> what's the reverse for (gnus-summary-sort-by-date) ??

That command is (gnus-summary-sort-by-date) :)

When you pass a non-nil argument to it, it sorts in reverse order:

  gnus-summary-sort-by-date is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
  `gnus-sum'.
  (gnus-summary-sort-by-date &optional REVERSE)

  Sort the summary buffer by date.
  Argument REVERSE means reverse order.

If you want a function that does this without having to specify an
argument, you can do the following:

  (defun my-gnus-summary-sort-by-date-rev ()
    (interactive)
    (gnus-summary-sort-by-date t))

> And how do I customize default sorting methods for different groups?
> Thank you!

You can set up a `gnus-summary-generate-hook', as follows:

  (defun my-gnus-article-sort-by-date-rev (h1 h2)
    ;; swap the argument order to do a reverse sort
    (gnus-article-sort-by-date h2 h1))
  (defun my-gnus-summary-generate-hook ()
    (when (and (not (null gnus-newsgroup-name))
               (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name))
      (cond
       ((string-match "\\(foo\\|bar\\)" gnus-newsgroup-name)
        (setq gnus-article-sort-functions '(my-gnus-article-sort-by-date-rev))
        t)
       (t
        (setq gnus-article-sort-functions '(gnus-article-sort-by-date))
        t))))
  (add-hook 'gnus-summary-generate-hook 'my-gnus-summary-generate-hook)

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: sort by reverse date & bbdb
@ 2004-05-31 16:54       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-31 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 30 2004, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Ding Lei <dinglei@ipanel.cn> writes:
[...]
>   (defun my-gnus-summary-sort-by-date-rev ()
>     (interactive)
>     (gnus-summary-sort-by-date t))

Using (not gnus-summary-sort-by-date) in `gnus-article-sort-functions'
is easier.

>> And how do I customize default sorting methods for different groups?
>> Thank you!
>
> You can set up a `gnus-summary-generate-hook', as follows:
[...]
>       (cond
>        ((string-match "\\(foo\\|bar\\)" gnus-newsgroup-name)
>         (setq gnus-article-sort-functions '(my-gnus-article-sort-by-date-rev))
>         t)

You can set `gnus-article-sort-functions' in `gnus-parameters' ...

   ("foo"
    (gnus-article-sort-functions
     '(gnus-article-sort-by-subject gnus-article-sort-by-score)))

... or by customizing a group or a topic: `G c'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)