* Connectons to gmane suddenly are non-usable
@ 2006-02-16  4:12 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-16  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Forward of help request from gmane.discuss

  From: Harry Putnam <reader@jtan.com>
  Subject: Connection to gmane suddenly no work
  Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
  Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:42:12 -0500

Sometime yesterday my ability to connect to gmane stopped working on
my home computer.  I'm posting this from a user account on jtan.com.

My home IP is dynamic (changes are several days apart or longer but
unpredictable).  IPs are Assigned from sbcglobal.net.  I've been
connecting to gmane for about 2yrs from there.

Attempting to connect to gmane doesn't cause any error ouput but the
nntp-log buffer shows:

  20060215T192337.798 news.gmane.org MODE READER
  20060215T192337.938 news.gmane.org LIST

Then nothing else happens.

Seems like my connection is silently sent into a blackhole or
something. I can't tell if its a local problem or not.

I thought it might tell something to telnet a post but after what
seems like a normal connection I get this message on send:

  441 You are not allowed to post to gmane.discuss

Any ideas on how to debug this?

* Re: Connectons to gmane suddenly are non-usable
@ 2006-02-16  9:21 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-02-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 16 2006, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Forward of help request from gmane.discuss
>
>   From: Harry Putnam <reader@jtan.com>
>   Subject: Connection to gmane suddenly no work
>   Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
>   Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:42:12 -0500

(I didn't see this in gmane.discuss yet.)

> Sometime yesterday my ability to connect to gmane stopped working on
> my home computer.  I'm posting this from a user account on jtan.com.
>
> My home IP is dynamic (changes are several days apart or longer but
> unpredictable).  IPs are Assigned from sbcglobal.net.  I've been
> connecting to gmane for about 2yrs from there.
[...]
> I thought it might tell something to telnet a post but after what
> seems like a normal connection I get this message on send:
>
>   441 You are not allowed to post to gmane.discuss
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this?

I doubt that this is a Gnus problem.  Is your IP (or IP range) listed
in <URL:http://gmane.org/denied.php>?  If you can't post to
gmane.discuss via NNTP, you might want to use the web interface
<http://news.gmane.org/gmane.discuss>.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Connectons to gmane suddenly are non-usable
@ 2006-02-16 14:46   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-16 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane <at> imap.cc> writes:

> > Forward of help request from gmane.discuss
> >
> >   From: Harry Putnam <reader <at> jtan.com>
> >   Subject: Connection to gmane suddenly no work
> >   Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
> >   Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:42:12 -0500
>
> (I didn't see this in gmane.discuss yet.)

Not for lack of trying... I tried at the remote machine mentioned in from
address above.  I tried by telnet and by web interface.

> > Sometime yesterday my ability to connect to gmane stopped working on
> > my home computer.  I'm posting this from a user account on jtan.com.
> >
> > My home IP is dynamic (changes are several days apart or longer but
> > unpredictable).  IPs are Assigned from sbcglobal.net.  I've been
> > connecting to gmane for about 2yrs from there.
> [...]
> > I thought it might tell something to telnet a post but after what
> > seems like a normal connection I get this message on send:
> >
> >   441 You are not allowed to post to gmane.discuss
> >
> > Any ideas on how to debug this?
>
> I doubt that this is a Gnus problem.

I didn't think so either but hoped some of the savvy users here would know how
to debug a network problem.

 Is your IP (or IP range) listed
> in <URL:http://gmane.org/denied.php>?

Yikes ... yes it is `.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net'

Why would that be?  Egad it might be due to a change I made in which servers
were under the agent.  At about the time frame as this problem I put gmane
under agent (it is a foreign group on my setup)  I did notice some hefty
downloads happening after that and just assumed my 10-12 gmane groups were
downloading old messges.
Do you suppose that could get me blackballed at gmane?

If you can't post to
> gmane.discuss via NNTP, you might want to use the web interface
> <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.discuss>.

Thats how I sent these messages.

But how do I get undenied... is it appropriate to write to gmane.discuss for
stuff like that?

* Re: Connectons to gmane suddenly are non-usable
@ 2006-02-16 16:05     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-02-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Harry Putnam

[ Adding gmane.discuss ]

On Thu, Feb 16 2006, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane <at> imap.cc> writes:
>
>> > Forward of help request from gmane.discuss
>> >
>> >   From: Harry Putnam <reader <at> jtan.com>
>> >   Subject: Connection to gmane suddenly no work
>> >   Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
>> >   Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:42:12 -0500
>>
>> (I didn't see this in gmane.discuss yet.)
>
> Not for lack of trying... I tried at the remote machine mentioned in from
> address above.  I tried by telnet and by web interface.

I didn't see your posts because I filter on gmane.spam.detected: :-/

,----
`----

,----
`----

,----[ http://gmane.org/denied.php ]
| Actions that may lead to denial include:
|
|     * Really excessive downloading of articles. I mean, really.
|     * Address-harvesting-like behavior. (Selecting many, many
|       groups, reading few articles.)
|     * Feeding articles onto Usenet.
|
| It takes a lot to trigger a denial. Nobody who uses Gmane with a
| normal news reader can cause a denial.
`----

"1+ gb to 3.6" as described in
<news:loom.20060216T154739-818@post.gmane.org> is a lot, but I don't
know if it is "Really excessive downloading" for Lars.

> If you can't post to
>> gmane.discuss via NNTP, you might want to use the web interface
>> <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.discuss>.
>
> Thats how I sent these messages.
>
> But how do I get undenied... is it appropriate to write to
> gmane.discuss for stuff like that?

Yes.  See e.g. the recent thread "news.gmane.org blocking german
users?".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,