* nnir.el and split-string
@ 2008-06-08 23:37 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-06-08 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

nnir.el uses the 3rd arg of split-string which is not available
in the version of Emacs 21 (in XEmacs 21.4/21.5 it's available).

While compiling nnir-run-find-grep in file gnus/lisp/nnir.el:
  ** split-string called with 3 arguments, but accepts only 1-2
  ** split-string called with 3 arguments, but accepts only 1-2

Though Emacs 21 seems not to be in demand nowadays especially
for using with the Gnus bleeding edge.

Regards,

(I vote to making Gnus drop Emacs 21 support.)

* Re: nnir.el and split-string
@ 2008-06-09  3:58 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2008-06-09  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Hi Katsumi,

> Though Emacs 21 seems not to be in demand nowadays especially for
> using with the Gnus bleeding edge.

Probably this is true, but it's your (and my) unproved hypothesis.

> (I vote to making Gnus drop Emacs 21 support.)

It's very easy to emulate the third arg by using (e.g.)

(delete "" (split-string "a,b,,c" ","))

instead of

(split-string "a,b,,c" "," t)

So my vote is to make that change and keep Emacs 21 support for a while
longer.

With kind regards,
Christoph

* Re: nnir.el and split-string
@ 2008-06-11 23:12   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-06-11 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi Katsumi,

>> Though Emacs 21 seems not to be in demand nowadays especially for
>> using with the Gnus bleeding edge.

> Probably this is true, but it's your (and my) unproved hypothesis.

>> (I vote to making Gnus drop Emacs 21 support.)

Ok,  Anything should be done (or not should be done) after having
changed the regulation anyhow.

> It's very easy to emulate the third arg by using (e.g.)

> (delete "" (split-string "a,b,,c" ","))

> instead of

> (split-string "a,b,,c" "," t)

> So my vote is to make that change and keep Emacs 21 support for a while
> longer.

I've made changes in nnir.el in this way.  Thanks.

* Re: nnir.el and split-string
@ 2008-06-15 12:28   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-06-15 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, ding

[ I though I had sent this last week , but I found it sitting in my
  drafts folder. ]

On Mon, Jun 09 2008, Christoph Conrad wrote:

>> Though Emacs 21 seems not to be in demand nowadays especially for
>> using with the Gnus bleeding edge.
>
> Probably this is true, but it's your (and my) unproved hypothesis.

I thought so too, but then...

,----
`----

>> (I vote to making Gnus drop Emacs 21 support.)

My (unproven) hypothesis is that we don't gain much by dropping
support for Emacs 21 unless we also drop support XEmacs 21.4 (even
XEmacs 21.5 hasn't been synched with Emacs 22).

> It's very easy to emulate the third arg by using (e.g.)
> (delete "" (split-string "a,b,,c" ","))
> instead of
> (split-string "a,b,,c" "," t)
>
> So my vote is to make that change and keep Emacs 21 support for a while
> longer.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,