On Thu, Oct 14 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote: > "Ted Zlatanov" writes: > >> pop3.el seems to be separate from the rest of Gnus, so I'm not sure if >> I should add netrc.el (authinfo) support to it - then pop3.el would >> also depend on gnus-encrypt.el. Please advise. > > There are many incompatible forks of pop3.el, the copy in Gnus CVS > used to be one of them. I see now that the copies in Gnus CVS and > Emacs CVS are in sync. I'm not sure how that happened, but it is a > good thing. I've merged the changes from Emacs to Gnus initially and Miles keeps them in sync now. The most important thing was `pop3-leave-mail-on-server'. I'm not sure if this feature (introduced in Emacs) was a good idea in the first place (and I don't know if it works reliably [1]). But if upgrading from Gnus 5.9 to 5.11 would suddenly delete the mails on the server after pop (when `pop3-leave-mail-on-server' is ignored as in Gnus 5.10.6), people won't be happy ("Gnus deleted all my mail!!!1"). > So perhaps we can make this one the canonical copy, and add new > features to it. I'd say go ahead. Dave Love pointed out that `pop3.el' could be used outside Gnus and suggested to remove the nn-whatever dependencies. If we think that this is a valuable goal, we should avoid adding further dependencies. ,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/3974 ] | pop3.el shouldn't use nnheader-accept-process-output, so it can be | used outside Gnus. `---- Bye, Reiner. [1] I think I'll add a warning, see the attached patch. -- ,,, (o o) ---ooO-(_)-Ooo--- | PGP key available | http://rsteib.home.pages.de/