* [gnus.commits] Changes committed gnus/texi (ChangeLog gnus.texi)
@ 2007-05-07 13:20 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-05-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiner.steib; +Cc: ding

> +2007-05-03  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
> +
> +	* gnus.texi (Running NNDiary): Use ~/.gnus.el instead of gnusrc.
> +

> -line in your @file{gnusrc} file:
> +line in your @file{~/.gnus.el} file:

> -  In order to use it, add the following line to your @file{gnusrc} file:
> +  In order to use it, add the following line to your @file{~/.gnus.el} file:

Actually, I had used intentionally "gnusrc" as a generic term for the
Gnus initialization file, because this file is customizable, so
~/gnus.el is not very accurate[1]. If you don't like "gnusrc", maybe we
could use something like "gnus init file" throughout the manual,
possibly with an xref to the "Gnus Startup Files" section of the manual ?

Footnotes:
[1]  For instance, mine is ~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/rc/gnusrc.el.
By default, it can also be just ".gnus".

--
Read the Jazz Blog !! http://jazzblog.didierverna.com

Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Gnus initialization file in the manual (was: [gnus.commits] Changes committed gnus/texi (ChangeLog gnus.texi))
@ 2007-05-07 18:02 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-05-07 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, May 07 2007, Didier Verna wrote:

>> +2007-05-03  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
>> +
>> +	* gnus.texi (Running NNDiary): Use ~/.gnus.el instead of gnusrc.
>> +
[...]
> Actually, I had used intentionally "gnusrc" as a generic term for the
> Gnus initialization file,

I think it's confusing to use "gnusrc".  The term "gnusrc" is not
common—at least I have never seen it before.

> because this file is customizable, so ~/gnus.el is not very
> accurate[1].

[ You meant ~/.gnus.el, I suppose. ]  If the user know how to change
`gnus-init-file', (s)he should be aware that the manual describes the
default name.  The same holds for `.newsrc', ~/News/, ~/Mail/,
~/.authinfo, key bindings etc.

> If you don't like "gnusrc", maybe we could use something like "gnus
> init file" throughout the manual, possibly with an xref to the "Gnus
> Startup Files" section of the manual ?

It will clutter the manual and I don't think this will help the user.

> By default, it can also be just ".gnus".

I'd recommend ".el" because (X)Emacs will automatically open it in
Lisp mode.  "~/" makes it more clear that it in HOME.  The dot is easy
to miss (at least for Unix-Newbies): There was actually a user who
edited lisp/gnus.el!

In 2003, I've changed the manual to use ~/.gnus.el throughout (and
fixed the markup) to avoid confusion.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,