* new "contrib/sendmail.el" is a conflicting filename
@ 2006-03-04 17:57 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2006-03-04 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just upgraded to latest CVS, from a prev.version of January 30th.
Sometime in the last 5 weeks, a new file "contrib/sendmail.el" came
into existence.  This is in conflict with the standard XEmacs package
file mail-lib/sendmail.el, such that (require 'sendmail) gets me the
wrong one.

The particular reason why this failed for me was because the new
contrib version wants to (require 'mailalias) but there is no file
named mailalias* anywhere in either XEmacs (base or packages) or Gnus.

I haven't run FSFmacs in years, so I don't know the state there of
potential conflicts over sendmail.el or lack of mailalias.el.

* Re: new "contrib/sendmail.el" is a conflicting filename
@ 2006-03-05 14:20 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-05 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 04 2006, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> I just upgraded to latest CVS, from a prev.version of January 30th.
> Sometime in the last 5 weeks, a new file "contrib/sendmail.el" came
> into existence.  This is in conflict with the standard XEmacs package
> file mail-lib/sendmail.el, such that (require 'sendmail) gets me the
> wrong one.

You should not add contrib/ to load-path at all:

,----[ contrib/README ]
| Please note that it is not good to just add this directory to
| load-path: a number of files in this directory will become part of
| more recent Emacs versions, so that you might be running obsolete
| libraries with all kinds of ill effects.
|
| The suggested method for installation is to copy those files that you
| need to a directory which is in load-path.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,