* gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-25 18:17 Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2007-07-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

i had some problems with getting mail via pop3 from gnus. I had
enabled POP3 long time ago, and now try to customize Gnus to fetch
mail from GMail. Sending works fine

I has following config:

(setq mail-sources
			'(
				(pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
						 :port 995
						 :user "username"
						 :connection ssl
						 :leave t
						 )
				))

When i try to fetch, i'm asked for password, and after long wait, i
get following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  string-match("<" nil)
  pop3-open-server("pop.gmail.com" 995)
  pop3-movemail("~/.emacs-mail-crash-box")
  mail-source-fetch-pop((pop :server "pop.gmail.com" :port 995 :user
"alexott" :connection ssl :leave t) #[(file orig-file) "ࣂ쐀\b	š?…\x0f

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-26 13:32 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-26 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

"Alex Ott" <alexott@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> (setq mail-sources
> 			'(
> 				(pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
> 						 :port 995
> 						 :user "username"
> 						 :connection ssl
> 						 :leave t
> 						 )
> 				))

[...]
This is currently working for me....

(setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "dummy@gmail.com"
             :password "*********"
             :stream ssl)
	(pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "dummmy2@gmail.com"
             :password "*******"
             :stream ssl)))

This is using gnutls compiled on cygwin to download the mails.  In
both cases, the mail is still left on the server.

 sivaram
 --
p.s what do you use to send mail through gnus?

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-26 19:42   ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2007-07-26 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: ding

Hello

I had tried your config, but got the same error :-((

On 7/26/07, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Alex Ott" <alexott@gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>

> > (setq mail-sources
> >                       '(
> >                               (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
> >                                                :port 995
> >                                                :user "username"
> >                                                :connection ssl
> >                                                :leave t
> >                                                )
> >                               ))
> >

> [...]
> This is currently working for me....
>

> (setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "dummy@gmail.com"
>              :password "*********"
>              :stream ssl)
>         (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "dummmy2@gmail.com"
>              :password "*******"
>              :stream ssl)))
>
> This is using gnutls compiled on cygwin to download the mails.  In
> both cases, the mail is still left on the server.
>
>  sivaram
>  --
> p.s what do you use to send mail through gnus?

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-27 16:39     ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-27 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

"Alex Ott" <alexott@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> I had tried your config, but got the same error :-((

[...]

What version of Emacs and gnus are you using?  On what OS?

 sivaram

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-27 19:24   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2007-07-27 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> (setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "dummy@gmail.com"
>              :password "*********"
>              :stream ssl)
> 	(pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "dummmy2@gmail.com"
>              :password "*******"
>              :stream ssl)))
>
> This is using gnutls compiled on cygwin to download the mails.  In
> both cases, the mail is still left on the server.

Some time ago I tried hard but also unsuccessfully and had to gave up to
download mails from gmail account with gnus.

Now out of curiosity I used your setup which ended again with:

Mail source (pop :server pop.gmail.com :port 995 :user myname@gmail.com
:password ******** :stream ssl) error (stringp). Continue? (yes or no)

I used gnutls 1.7.8, emacs 22.1.1, gnus v5.11.

Just for comparison I installed Thunderbird and had my messages from gmail
within a minute. Unfortunately I don't like its gui.

--
Radek

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-27 22:52     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-07-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2007-07-27 20:24 +0100, rahed wrote:
> Some time ago I tried hard but also unsuccessfully and had to gave up
> to download mails from gmail account with gnus.

If you are using 5.11, then you need ssl.el.

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-28  8:53       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Jul 28 2007, Leo wrote:

> On 2007-07-27 20:24 +0100, rahed wrote:
>> Some time ago I tried hard but also unsuccessfully and had to gave up
>> to download mails from gmail account with gnus.
>
> If you are using 5.11, then you need ssl.el.

Really?  (I don't about gmail.)

,----[ gnus/contrib/README ]
| ssl.el
|
|         Obsolete interface to OpenSSL.  Completely replaced by
|         lisp/tls.el, which supports both GnuTLS and OpenSSL.  This
|         file will be removed eventually.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus + gmail pop3
@ 2007-07-30 19:20       ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2007-07-30 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: ding

Hello all

The problem was resolved by installing stunell on my machine and pointing
gnus to fetch mail from it. Now all works

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/    http://content-filtering.blogspot.com/