From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Viewing HTML-mails with external browsers - proposed code
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:57:01 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 13 2006, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

> Hynek Schlawack <hynek@ularx.de> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Just being curious: Is it the code-quality

No, I didn't read the code yet. ;-)

> or the purpose of the code

Personally, I'm quite happy with the text part.  If this fails or is
not present, emacs-w3m is sufficient for me.

On Sun, Dec 18 2005, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

> Anyway: As I started to get more and more Mails (mostly newsletters etc)
> that make sense only if readen with an graphical browser like Firefox, I
> was wondering whether there's some easy way to display them in Gnus? As
> I haven't found anything, I wrote a little elisp to solve this.

My first though was: We probably already have something similar in
Gnus.  But I couldn't find it.

> It's kindof my first lisp ever, so please be tolerant. ;)

There are some minor issues.

> I'd be happy about some feedback or even inclusion though.

If we don't have such a feature already, I think it would be good to
install your code.

But the code is larger than 10-15 lines (i.e. it's not a "tiny
change") so we'd need legal papers to install it.  Gnus is a part of
Emacs and since Emacs is a core GNU project, the Free Software
Foundation (FSF) requires an assignment of copyright for
contributions, so that it is able to defend Emacs' legal status
without doubts, should the need arise.  You can either sign papers
only for Gnus or for Emacs (which covers Gnus, too).

AFAICS, you haven't filed a copyright assignment for work on Gnus or
Emacs to the Free Software Foundation yet.  If you're willing to
assign your code, I can send you the required request form.  After the
assignment process completes (you get sent forms which you have to
read and sign and send back), we can install your code.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)