* nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-08-26 18:52 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-08-26 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

when using Gnus with the nnfolder[1] back end which is used by default
for sent messages, people get...

| File sent-mail is large (11MB), really open? (y or n)

... when sending a mail.

This is caused by the variable `large-file-warning-threshold' that has
been introduced in Emacs 21.3.50.

Should we bind `large-file-warning-threshold' to a larger value (or
nil) in the relevant Gnus functions[2] or would it be better to
increase the default value of `large-file-warning-threshold'?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] The nnfolder back end is a "one file per group" back end.
    I.e. the file may grow quite fast when a user stores sent
    attachments there.

[2] `nnheader-find-file-noselect' (used in `nnfolder-read-folder',
    `nnmbox-read-mbox', `nnbabyl-read-mbox', ...)
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-08-26 19:10 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-08-26 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:52:20 +0200, Reiner wrote:

> Should we bind `large-file-warning-threshold' to a larger value (or
> nil) in the relevant Gnus functions[2] or would it be better to
> increase the default value of `large-file-warning-threshold'?

How about defaulting to nnml: instead of nnfolder: for the archive?
Any reason not to?

  Best regards,

--
 "SUVs are gross because they're the solution to a            Adam Sjøgren
  gross problem. (How to make minivans look more         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-09-08 18:37 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-08 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 26 2004, Reiner Steib wrote:

> when using Gnus with the nnfolder[1] back end which is used by default
> for sent messages, people get...
>
> | File sent-mail is large (11MB), really open? (y or n)
>
> ... when sending a mail.
>
> This is caused by the variable `large-file-warning-threshold' that has
> been introduced in Emacs 21.3.50.
>
> Should we bind `large-file-warning-threshold' to a larger value (or
> nil) in the relevant Gnus functions[2] or would it be better to
> increase the default value of `large-file-warning-threshold'?

No opinions on that?  Could someone explain the reason for

@ 2004-09-08 18:37   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-08 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 26 2004, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:52:20 +0200, Reiner wrote:
>
>> Should we bind `large-file-warning-threshold' to a larger value (or
>> nil) in the relevant Gnus functions[2] or would it be better to
>> increase the default value of `large-file-warning-threshold'?
>
> How about defaulting to nnml: instead of nnfolder: for the archive?
> Any reason not to?

This won't be a remedy for people using large nnfolder
archives/groups.  But I certainly would object to such a change.  I
don't know if it can be done in a backward compatible way.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2004-09-08 19:08     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-09-08 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:37:13 +0200, Reiner wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26 2004, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:52:20 +0200, Reiner wrote:

>>> Should we bind `large-file-warning-threshold' to a larger value
>>> (or nil) in the relevant Gnus functions[2] or would it be better
>>> to increase the default value of `large-file-warning-threshold'?

>> How about defaulting to nnml: instead of nnfolder: for the archive?
>> Any reason not to?

> This won't be a remedy for people using large nnfolder
> archives/groups. But I certainly would object to such a change. I
> don't know if it can be done in a backward compatible way.

You're right, of course, it won't help people in that situation - I
was merely thinking of the default for people in the future, so it
would be less easy to get into in the first place.

  Best regards,

--
 "Who ees thees Kählveen?"                                    Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-09-08 21:36   ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2004-09-08 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> No opinions on that?  Could someone explain the reason for
> `large-file-warning-threshold'?

Emacs doesn't handle large files very well in my experience (particularly if
they're not read in as binary in fundamental mode), so I've added this
warning in case you open a very large file without intending to.

I guess the warning should not happen for files opened with
find-file-literally (presumably nnfolder doesn't just use
`find-file-noselect').

        Stefan

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-09-08 23:26     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-09-08 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, emacs-devel

In article <m1pt4wfntr.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>>  No opinions on that?  Could someone explain the reason for
>>  `large-file-warning-threshold'?

> Emacs doesn't handle large files very well in my experience (particularly if
> they're not read in as binary in fundamental mode), so I've added this
> warning in case you open a very large file without intending to.

Do you mean that you find a bug on decoding a very large
file, or that the decoding is just very slow?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-09-08 23:31       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-09-08 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, emacs-devel

>> Emacs doesn't handle large files very well in my experience (particularly if
>> they're not read in as binary in fundamental mode), so I've added this
>> warning in case you open a very large file without intending to.

> Do you mean that you find a bug on decoding a very large
> file, or that the decoding is just very slow?

It's just very slow.

        Stefan

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-09-08 23:34         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-09-08 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, emacs-devel

>> Do you mean that you find a bug on decoding a very large
>> file, or that the decoding is just very slow?

> It's just very slow.

Just to make things clear: I do not know whether it's due to decoding.

        Stefan

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2004-09-08 23:52         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-09-08 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, emacs-devel

In article <jwvd60w8hji.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>>  Do you mean that you find a bug on decoding a very large
>>  file, or that the decoding is just very slow?

> It's just very slow.

I see.

> Just to make things clear: I do not know whether it's due to decoding.

I believe it's due to decoding (especially when decoding a
large utf-8 file).

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: nnfolder and large-file-warning-threshold
@ 2005-02-24 20:30     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Wed, Sep 08 2004, Stefan wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26 2004, Reiner Steib wrote:
>> when using Gnus with the nnfolder[1] back end which is used by default
>> for sent messages, people get...
>>
>> | File sent-mail is large (11MB), really open? (y or n)
>>
>> ... when sending a mail.
[...]

> I guess the warning should not happen for files opened with
> find-file-literally (presumably nnfolder doesn't just use
> `find-file-noselect').

I've committed the following change (to Gnus' CVS; trunk and v5-10):

	* nnfolder.el (nnfolder-read-folder): Use RAWFILE for
	`nnheader-find-file-noselect' to avoid