* compressed archives
@ 2004-05-08 20:06 Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2004-05-08 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any plans to support compressed versions of backends,
e.g. nnfolder?  This is useful for archives.  Some MUAs like mutt
transparently support compressed mboxes.

--
Karl 2004-05-08 12:56

* Re: compressed archives
@ 2004-05-08 23:50 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-08 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Chen <quarl@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> writes:
> Are there any plans to support compressed versions of backends,
> e.g. nnfolder?  This is useful for archives.  Some MUAs like mutt
> transparently support compressed mboxes.

I seem to recall that nnfolder pretty much works with compressed folders
already; have you tried it?

It's been a while since I use nnfolder, but I used to, and I often
compressed old folders.  As I recall, you just had to (1) compress the
folder's mbox-file (using gzip, which automatically renames the file
from `foo' to `foo.gz'), and (2) rename references to it accordingly
(from `foo' to `foo.gz') in various places; the active list is the only
one I remember (file called `active' in the same directory).

[Also, it might depend on having emacs `auto-compression-mode' enabled.]

It might be nice if Gnus offered a `compress nnfolder' command that
automatically performed the necessary steps.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!

* Re: compressed archives
@ 2004-05-10  8:32   ` Martin Monsorno
From: Martin Monsorno @ 2004-05-10  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> It might be nice if Gnus offered a `compress nnfolder' command that
> automatically performed the necessary steps.

Or even better, a 'compress folder' command, that transforms the
folder into a "compressable" type like nnfolder, and continues.

--
Martin

* Re: compressed archives
@ 2004-05-10  9:38     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-10  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 10 2004, Martin Monsorno wrote:

> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> It might be nice if Gnus offered a `compress nnfolder' command that
>> automatically performed the necessary steps.
>
> Or even better, a 'compress folder' command, [...]

"compress folder" is misleading as other programs (e.g. Mozilla, IIRC)
use this term for the action "really delete articles that are marked
as deleted".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,