From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
Subject: Re: Why do I get *.ADAPT files for nnml groups?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:08:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 02 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
>> Regarding Kai's setup, I'm not sure if "ignore" is supposed to work:
[...]
>> Why didn't you use nil here, Kai?
>
> *blush*  I don't know...  Is it supposed to work to put
> (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil) or (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring . nil)
> in there?

My understanding is that (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil) _should_
work.  But I don't understand the relation between
gnus-newsgroup-adaptive and gnus-use-adaptive-scoring in the code:

,----[ grep -n -e gnus-use-adaptive-scoring *.el ]
| gnus-cus.el:574:adaptive scoring on most groups, you'd set `gnus-use-adaptive-scoring'
| gnus-cus.el:577:groups, you'd set `gnus-use-adaptive-scoring' to nil, and insert
| gnus-sum.el:1376:    (gnus-newsgroup-adaptive . gnus-use-adaptive-scoring)
| gnus.el:1389:(defcustom gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil
|
| grep finished (matches found) at Tue Mar  2 00:20:33
`----

BTW: The manual doesn't explicitly state that setting
`gnus-use-adaptive-scoring' is supposed to be set local to groups.
Instead there's something in the context of the `adapt' entry:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Score File Format") ]
`----

> I'll try your gnus-newsgroup-adaptive workaround.

(JFTR: Frank Haun invented this workaround.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)