* Re: No Gnus pgpmime ignores pgg-gpg-use-agent
       [not found] <87bq5w8yzp.fsf@daedalus.guillermoamaral.com>
@ 2008-03-03  8:31 ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]   ` <871w6rowv2.fsf_-_@broken.deisui.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas; +Cc: Daiki Ueno, info-gnus-english, ding

On Mon, Mar 03 2008, Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas wrote:

>   During my last update of No Gnus I have noticed that when I signing
> mails using *pgpmine* the *pgg-gpg-use-agent* settings gets ignored, I
> have it set to _nil_ and Gnus forces me to use the agent or locks up.
>
>   I noticed that No Gnus trunk in Emacs 22.1 seems to work fine.

No Gnus uses EasyPG instead of PGG when EasyPG is installed.  In Emacs
CVS, EasyPG has been added recently.  Maybe this causes a different
behavior.

>   Does anybody have the same problem ?
>
>     Gnus/5.110007 trunk (No Gnus v0.7)
>     Emacs/23.0.60 trunk (gnu/linux)

Please report problems with development versions (No Gnus, Emacs 23)
to the development list(s) (ding@gnus, emacs-devel).

[ Please follow up on ding aka gmane.emacs.gnus.general instead of
  info-gnus-english aks gnu.emacs.gnus;
  Cc-ing Daiki Ueno (Author of PGG and EasyPG) ]

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* rmail-dont-reply-to false positives (was: Reply to Gmane articles [...])
       [not found]     ` <87tzjl7v2y.fsf@broken.deisui.org>
@ 2008-03-05 23:11       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-05 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Wed, Mar 05 2008, Daiki Ueno wrote:

>> I usually type `S W' in the summary buffer but it doesn't pick the
>> address from "To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org".  IIRC this happens on
>> Gmane groups only.  Am I missing something?
>
> I tracked this and found the solution: to remove "\\`info-" from
> rmail-dont-reply-to-names fixed the problem.

[I guess you mean `rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names'?]

According to Eli, ``the intent was to remove the "info-*" mailing
lists, which are essentially read-only (you are sent information, but
are not supposed to reply), [...]''. [1], [2]

I think, the default of `rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names' should be
changed to nil.  The current default "\\`info-" (changed from "info"
after [1]?) still leads to unexpected behavior.  As does the
`user-login-name' magic [3].  In contrast to Daiki, an ordinary user
probably won't find out why info-gnus-english is stripped.

Or/and Gnus should bind `rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names' to nil
when calling the function `rmail-dont-reply-to-names' if
`rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names' equals "\\`info-".

,----[ *ielm* ]
| ELISP> (let ((rmail-dont-reply-to-names nil)
| 	     (recipients "info-gnus-english@gnu.org, foo, bar"))
| 	 (rmail-dont-reply-to recipients))
| "foo, bar"
| ELISP> (let ((rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names nil)
| 	     (recipients "info-gnus-english@gnu.org, foo, bar"))
| 	 (rmail-dont-reply-to recipients))
| "info-gnus-english@gnu.org, foo, bar"
`----

While at it, maybe we should introduce `mail-dont-reply-to' (w/o the
info- and user-login-name magic), cf. `mail-utils.el':

;;; The following piece of ugliness is legacy code.  The name was an
;;; unfortunate choice --- a flagrant violation of the Emacs Lisp
;;; coding conventions.  `mail-dont-reply-to' would have been
;;; infinitely better.  Also, `rmail-dont-reply-to-names' might have
;;; been better named `mail-dont-reply-to-names' and sourced from this
;;; file instead of in rmail.el.  Yuck.  -pmr

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/3062

[2]
,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Mail Commands") ]
|    You can exclude certain recipients from being placed automatically in
| the `CC', using the variable `rmail-dont-reply-to-names'.  Its value
| should be a regular expression (as a string); any recipient that the
| regular expression matches, is excluded from the `CC' field.  The
| default value matches your own name, and any name starting with
| `info-'.  (Those names are excluded because there is a convention of
| using them for large mailing lists to broadcast announcements.)
`----

[3]
`----
--