From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:08:06 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 28 2006, CHENG Gao wrote:

[ ... in an unrelated thread: <news:m2wt7oc72j.fsf@eqiao.com>
  <http://thread.gmane.org/m2wt7oc72j.fsf@eqiao.com>.
  No trimming any quotes. ]

> I trust Gnus hashtb<->alist conversion functions have no problem.

Yes, my article on this was unrelated to your problem.

> I suspected function gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format is the culprit.
>
> As Handa said, # (blah blah ...) is representation of string with text
> properties.
> I had a test by removing all # and leave "0 40 (auto-composed nil)", and
> gnus registry works.
>
> In gnus-start.el function gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format line 2841
> ,----
> |            (print-readably t)
> `----
> I juct checked. At least in my Emacs 23 (06-9-15 cvs),

Could you please try if the problem also exists in Emacs 22 (trunk)?
As I understand from the previous messages, it only exists in
emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23).  Is this correct?  Then I could remove it
from the list of release-relevant bugs for Emacs 22
(admin/FOR-RELEASE).

> variable print-readably does not exist.

It exist in XEmacs; If it doesn't exist in Emacs, it is simply
ignored.  No problem.

I don't know about the rest of your questions:

> I nearly damaged my brain by reading code of prin1/princ/print.
>
> At last I think gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format should be ok. It does
> what it should do, even the result is bad.
>
> A silly question:
> If an entry in gnus-reristry-alist carries text-property, prin1 will
> print it as string and use # as quoting character. Is it right?
>
> If so, I think we need check all puthash (to gnus-registry-hashtb) in
> gnus-registry.el for unremoved text property.
>
> My knowledge is not adquate for real useful finding. Wish what I found
> can be a little useful to you.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,