* Sorting "New features in No Gnus" by topic?
@ 2006-03-29 21:01 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

currently the entries in "New features in No Gnus" [(info "(gnus)No
Gnus") aka GNUS-NEWS; source: texi/gnus-news.texi] are arranged quite
randomly.

I think the items should be sorted in a user-understandable way.
Maybe we could partly follow the structure from the FAQ menu
(info "(gnus)Frequently Asked Questions"):

* Installation
* Startup / Group buffer
* Getting Messages
* Reading messages / Summary buffer
* Composing messages
* Misc

Any volunteer?  :-)

(As it only involves Cut&Paste, we don't need an assignment for such a
change, I think.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Sorting "New features in No Gnus" by topic?
@ 2006-03-30 19:34 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-30 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think the items should be sorted in a user-understandable way.

I agree, so I've now done that.

The top-level entries are:

* Installation changes in No Gnus
* Major new features in No Gnus
* Changes in back ends
* Changes in Message
* Other changes in No Gnus

... which seems to balance entries pretty nicely with the items we
currently have.  Feel free to split/reorder as you see fit.

(Note that this required changes to gnus-news.el as well.)

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-03-31 15:06   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-31 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 30 2006, Romain Francoise wrote:

> * Installation changes in No Gnus
> * Major new features in No Gnus
> * Changes in back ends
> * Changes in Message
> * Other changes in No Gnus
>
> ... which seems to balance entries pretty nicely with the items we
> currently have.  Feel free to split/reorder as you see fit.
>
> (Note that this required changes to gnus-news.el as well.)

Thank you very much for working on this.  It's much better than
before.

However, the category "Major new features" implies that these features
are more important than others[1], e.g. those from "Other changes".
I'd rather use purely topical categories.

I will try to categorize the entries from "Major new features" and
"Other changes" into the existing or new categories, e.g. "Reading
messages" (summary and article buffer) and "General/other" (tool bar,
new packages, ...).

(It seem you lost "The tool bar has been updated to use GNOME icons.",
I will restore it.)

Bye, Reiner.

[1] I didn't even use half of the "Major" items yet whereas some
    "Other changes" improve Gnus a lot for me.
--
       ,,,

@ 2006-03-31 16:17     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-31 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> However, the category "Major new features" implies that these features
> are more important than others[1], e.g. those from "Other changes".
> I'd rather use purely topical categories.

Well, the underlying logic was that changes that fit in one of the
following categories were noteworthy and thus more important:
- new packages,
- new user commands,
- support for new protocols,
- new major/minor modes.

Other changes, like changes to existing features, new variables that
tweak an existing feature, etc, are less important to me.  But YMMV, of
course.

> I will try to categorize the entries from "Major new features" and
> "Other changes" into the existing or new categories, e.g. "Reading
> messages" (summary and article buffer) and "General/other" (tool bar,
> new packages, ...).

Ok, thanks!

> (It seem you lost "The tool bar has been updated to use GNOME icons.",
> I will restore it.)

Oops, indeed.  I started with a non-fresh file and this item was lost in
the noise when I re-read my changes before installing.  Sorry about that.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Sorting "New features in No Gnus" by topic?
@ 2006-03-31 17:07       ` Reiner Steib
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-31 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 31 2006, Romain Francoise wrote:

>> I will try to categorize the entries from "Major new features" and
>> "Other changes" into the existing or new categories, e.g. "Reading
>> messages" (summary and article buffer) and "General/other" (tool bar,
>> new packages, ...).
>
> Ok, thanks!

The categories now are as follows:

* Installation changes
* New packages and libraries within Gnus
* Changes in summary and article mode
* Changes in Message mode
* Changes in back ends
* Appearance
* Miscellaneous changes

WDYT?

>> (It seem you lost "The tool bar has been updated to use GNOME icons.",
>> I will restore it.)
>
> Oops, indeed.  I started with a non-fresh file and this item was lost in
> the noise when I re-read my changes before installing.  Sorry about that.

No problem.

Unless someone else volunteers, I will count the items and compare if
we lost anything else.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2006-03-31 17:26         ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-31 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The categories now are as follows:

> * Installation changes
> * New packages and libraries within Gnus
> * Changes in summary and article mode
> * Changes in Message mode
> * Changes in back ends
> * Appearance
> * Miscellaneous changes

> WDYT?

Ok with me.

There's some extra whitespace between some of the top nodes: some are
followed by two blank lines, and some by only one.  You might want to
fix this, having only one blank line everywhere would be better.

Thanks,

--

@ 2006-03-31 17:49         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-31 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 31 2006, Reiner Steib wrote:

> Unless someone else volunteers, I will count the items and compare if
> we lost anything else.

Done.  ``33 matches for "^\*\* " in buffer: GNUS-NEWS'', both in 7.46
and revision 7.44

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Sorting "New features in Oort Gnus" by topic? (was: Sorting "New features in No Gnus" by topic?)
@ 2006-03-31 20:58         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-31 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 31 2006, Reiner Steib wrote:

> The categories now are as follows:
>
> * Installation changes
> * New packages and libraries within Gnus
> * Changes in summary and article mode
> * Changes in Message mode
> * Changes in back ends
> * Appearance
> * Miscellaneous changes

It would be nice to have the same categories for (info "(gnus)Oort
Gnus") [1].  Though there are only few changes since 5.10.6, it would
be nice to have for people upgrading from Emacs 21 to Emacs 22.

Any volunteer?  :-)

Bye, Reiner.

[1] See the node "Oort Gnus" in `texi/gnus.texi'.  We don't create
    GNUS-NEWS automatically from this, but I guess we can use
    texi/gnus-news.el for a manual one-time creation if someone does
    the work for `texi/gnus.texi'.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Sorting "New features in Oort Gnus" by topic?
@ 2006-05-12 14:59           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 31 2006, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31 2006, Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> The categories now are as follows:
>>
>> * Installation changes
>> * New packages and libraries within Gnus

Added (for Oort):

   * Changes in group mode

>> * Changes in summary and article mode
>> * Changes in Message mode

Renamed (for Oort):

   * Changes in Message mode and related Gnus features

>> * Changes in back ends
>> * Appearance
>> * Miscellaneous changes
>
> It would be nice to have the same categories for (info "(gnus)Oort
> Gnus") [1].  Though there are only few changes since 5.10.6, it would
> be nice to have for people upgrading from Emacs 21 to Emacs 22.
>
> Any volunteer?  :-)

I've finally done this trunk and v5-10.

I wasn't sure about some item, so feel free to move elsewhere.

Other unclear items were:

@item
@kbd{/ *} (@code{gnus-summary-limit-include-cached}) is rewritten.
@c FIXME: Was this a user-visible change?

@item
If @code{auto-compression-mode} is enabled, attachments are automatically
decompressed when activated.
@c FIXME: Does this affect article or message mode?

Could someone help to clarify?

[...]
> [1] See the node "Oort Gnus" in `texi/gnus.texi'.  We don't create
>     GNUS-NEWS automatically from this, but I guess we can use
>     texi/gnus-news.el for a manual one-time creation if someone does
>     the work for `texi/gnus.texi'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,