* How do I un-render HTML?
@ 2005-10-06 18:21 David Wuertele
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Wuertele @ 2005-10-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following in my .gnus:

  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

Unfortunatley, some messages render as blank.  I know they are not
blank, because I can go and look on my drive at the file and see that
there is data in the message body.  But some bug in w3m or gnus is
showing the message as blank.

I would rather see the original source data (even if it is HTML)
than a blank page.  Is there some keypress or command I can run to
tell gnus to UN-RENDER the message?

Thanks,
Dave

* Re: How do I un-render HTML?
@ 2005-10-06 18:58 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-10-06 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Wuertele <dave-gnus@bfnet.com> writes:

> I would rather see the original source data (even if it is HTML) than a
> blank page.  Is there some keypress or command I can run to tell gnus to
> UN-RENDER the message?

C-u g.

* Re: How do I un-render HTML?
@ 2005-10-06 20:03 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-06 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 06 2005, David Wuertele wrote:

> I know they are not blank, because I can go and look on my drive at
> the file and see that there is data in the message body.  But some
> bug in w3m or gnus is showing the message as blank.

Without the file, it's impossible to say if it's a bug in w3m or Gnus
or if the HTML is simply broken.

Is it legitimate mail or spam?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How do I un-render HTML?
@ 2005-10-07 23:31 ` Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2005-10-07 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> I would rather see the original source data (even if it
    David> is HTML) than a blank page.  Is there some keypress or
    David> command I can run to tell gnus to UN-RENDER the
    David> message?

See also the variables:

gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing
gnus-buttonized-mime-types
gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types

--
Karl 2005-10-07 16:30

* Re: How do I un-render HTML?
@ 2005-10-08  0:16   ` David Wuertele
From: David Wuertele @ 2005-10-08  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner> Without the file, it's impossible to say if it's a bug in w3m
Reiner> or Gnus or if the HTML is simply broken.

I'd post the file here if it weren't NDA-covered content.

It seems to happen when someone forwards me an email with an HTML
body.  Not every time, but very often.  Here's a common succession:

1.  "A" sends email to me with HTML in the body, it renders fine in
    w3m, I can read it fine.

2.  "B" replies to "A" and includes "A"'s original in the reply body.
    This is the mail that turns up empty in Gnus.  Usually, B's text
    is also HTML, but sometimes not.

3.  "C" replies to "B" and includes "B"'s original in the reply body
    (which happens to include "A"'s original as well).  Everything
    renders fine -- C's text, B's text, and A's HTML.

Reiner> Is it legitimate mail or spam?

Perfectly legitimate (except for the fact that the b**tards are
sending HTML emails).

Ironically, spam renders beautifully.

* Re: How do I un-render HTML?
@ 2005-10-08 10:03     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 08 2005, David Wuertele wrote:

> Reiner> Without the file, it's impossible to say if it's a bug in w3m
> Reiner> or Gnus or if the HTML is simply broken.
>
> I'd post the file here if it weren't NDA-covered content.
[...]
> 3.  "C" replies to "B" and includes "B"'s original in the reply body
>     (which happens to include "A"'s original as well).  Everything
>     renders fine -- C's text, B's text, and A's HTML.

You could try to produce an anonymized file by replacing all names,
mail addresses and text by `A', `B' and `C', respectively.  Be sure
*not* to remove headers like MIME-Version and Content-Type and *not*
remove MIME boundary markers (--=...), MIME parts headers and HTML
tags.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,