* Proper way to handle group for mairix searches?
@ 2007-09-25 14:22 Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2007-09-25 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I've been using mairix for my mail search recently, because it has the
advantage of rather fast indexing and very fast, yet powerful search. It
functions by copying the matching articles to a folder, for which
various formats are available, with maildir as the default.

So from Gnus point of view, there is a maildir folder that changes its
contents entirely based on the output of mairix.

What I want Gnus to do is to forget about the old status of the folder,
and open it with the new results without checking for new mail or
anything else to slow it down. The best way I found so far was a
combination of

    (gnus-group-quick-select-group 0 mairix-results-group)
    (gnus-summary-reselect-current-group t t)

(see below) but this does not work perfectly. I see zombies in the
Summary and Gnus occasionally seems semi-confused about the group.

Here are my questions:

 a) Can someone tell me how to do this "properly"?

 b) Is there a way to select one of the articles on its Message-ID
    quickly?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Regards,
Georg

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 611 bytes --]

Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve@fsfeurope.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 (http://fsfeurope.org)
Join the Fellowship and protect your freedom!     (http://www.fsfe.org)
What everyone should know about DRM                   (http://DRM.info)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 306 bytes --]

* Re: Proper way to handle group for mairix searches?
@ 2007-09-25 15:21 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-09-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg C. F. Greve; +Cc: ding

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:22:30 +0200 "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve@fsfeurope.org> wrote:

GCFG> So from Gnus point of view, there is a maildir folder that changes its
GCFG> contents entirely based on the output of mairix.

GCFG> What I want Gnus to do is to forget about the old status of the folder,
GCFG> and open it with the new results without checking for new mail or
GCFG> anything else to slow it down. The best way I found so far was a
GCFG> combination of

GCFG>     (gnus-group-quick-select-group 0 mairix-results-group)
GCFG>     (gnus-summary-reselect-current-group t t)

GCFG> (see below) but this does not work perfectly. I see zombies in the
GCFG> Summary and Gnus occasionally seems semi-confused about the group.

Maybe you can put an IMAP server (Courier/dovecot) in front of the
Maildir?  If not, you may need to write nnmairix based on nnmaildir,
unfortunately (I don't have a better suggestion but someone else may).

GCFG> Here are my questions:

GCFG>  a) Can someone tell me how to do this "properly"?

Sorry, I haven't done this.

GCFG>  b) Is there a way to select one of the articles on its Message-ID
GCFG>  quickly?

Not currently in core Gnus.  The gnus-registry knows where an article
is, once you visit a group (it notices each article's message ID), but
doesn't remember the article number.  So you can write code that will go
to that group and find the message ID, or you (and I) can extend the
gnus-registry to remember the article number as well.

Ted

* Re: Proper way to handle group for mairix searches?
@ 2007-09-25 15:52   ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2007-09-25 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:21:07 -0500
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

 tz> Maybe you can put an IMAP server (Courier/dovecot) in front of the
 tz> Maildir?

Having to run an IMAP server to be able to cleanly reread a folder in
Gnus seems a bit excessive, imho.

 GCFG> b) Is there a way to select one of the articles on its Message-ID
 GCFG> quickly?

 tz> Not currently in core Gnus.  The gnus-registry knows where an
 tz> article is, once you visit a group (it notices each article's
 tz> message ID), but doesn't remember the article number.  So you can
 tz> write code that will go to that group and find the message ID, or
 tz> you (and I) can extend the gnus-registry to remember the article
 tz> number as well.

The registry wouldn't help, because the articles are thrown in by mairix
dynamically. So they are not going through Gnus. What we'd need to do is
enter the group, and then activate the first article that matches a
search in the header fields, I guess, but I'm wondering which would be
the best candidate to use for this.

My best bet right now would be

 (gnus-summary-select-article nil t t
  (car (gnus-find-matching-articles "message-id" msgid)))

to select and display the message with the appropriate id.

Regards,
Georg

--

@ 2007-09-25 21:10   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-09-25 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 25 2007, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve@fsfeurope.org> wrote:
> GCFG>  b) Is there a way to select one of the articles on its Message-ID
> GCFG>  quickly?
>
> Not currently in core Gnus.

Huh?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Finding the Parent") ]
|    Most of the mail back ends support fetching by `Message-ID', but do
| not do a particularly excellent job at it.  That is, `nnmbox',
| `nnbabyl', `nnmaildir', `nnml', are able to locate articles from any
| groups, while `nnfolder', and `nnimap' are only able to locate articles
| that have been posted to the current group.  (Anything else would be
| too time consuming.)  `nnmh' does not support this at all.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Proper way to handle group for mairix searches?
@ 2007-09-25 21:54     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-09-25 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:10:10 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> On Tue, Sep 25 2007, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve@fsfeurope.org> wrote:
GCFG> b) Is there a way to select one of the articles on its Message-ID
GCFG> quickly?

>> Not currently in core Gnus.

RS> Huh?

RS> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Finding the Parent") ]
RS> |    Most of the mail back ends support fetching by `Message-ID', but do
RS> | not do a particularly excellent job at it.  That is, `nnmbox',
RS> | `nnbabyl', `nnmaildir', `nnml', are able to locate articles from any
RS> | groups, while `nnfolder', and `nnimap' are only able to locate articles
RS> | that have been posted to the current group.  (Anything else would be
RS> | too time consuming.)  `nnmh' does not support this at all.
RS> `----

Is that quick?  I have experienced large delays over IMAP with this
functionality, so I hesitated to recommend it.  Perhaps it's quick with
Maildir sources specifically?

Ted

* Re: Proper way to handle group for mairix searches?
@ 2007-09-26  6:13       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-09-26  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 25 2007, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:10:10 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
>
> RS> On Tue, Sep 25 2007, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>>> "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve@fsfeurope.org> wrote:
> GCFG> b) Is there a way to select one of the articles on its Message-ID
> GCFG> quickly?
>>>
>>> Not currently in core Gnus.
>
> RS> Huh?
>
> RS> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Finding the Parent") ]
[...]
> Is that quick?  I have experienced large delays over IMAP with this
> functionality, so I hesitated to recommend it.

I overlooked "quickly".  This might be not the case for some back
ends.

> Perhaps it's quick with Maildir sources specifically?

On nnml it's quite fast.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,