On Thu, Mar 10 2005, Matthias Andree wrote: > OK. My complaint is that as a result of Emacs 21.SOME_MINOR_RELEASE not > providing a particular character set, Gnus display anything else rather > than falling back to ASCII (where appropriate), masking the unprintables > and stuffing a status line that reads something like "windows-1251 not > supported by your emacs, displaying ASCII parts" [...] > This is along the lines Simon Josefsson suggested one and a half > years ago WRT Windows-1252. > > It is a shame that such functionality still isn't enabled in the default > No Gnus after such a long time. :-( Could you try the following patch? [*] It should automatically do the setup for windows-125[0137] (which are available in Emacs 21). If no charset (or alias) is found, it will print a message. (Displaying as ASCII is and replacing unknown chars with `?' is not included. I'm not sure how this could be achieved in Gnus.)