From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>,
	ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus crashes on threads deeper than 333 articles
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:29:50 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 05 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     > What about providing an option and keep the current recursive as
>     > default?  See the patch below (`gnus-sort-threads-loop' is your
>     > function).
>
>     I think this is a good approach.
>
> Why do we want to keep the recursive version?
> Why add an option?
>
> We know that the loop works, so let's just use that.

Well, the recursion is well tested (part of Gnus at least since 1997)
with only _two_ reported problems with it over all those years
(i.e. the situation when the recursion fails is *very rare*).  The new
function has been tested in practice only by two persons.  I wouldn't
feel comfortable to change such an important function so shortly
before the Emacs release without providing a simple way back in case
of problem with the loop implementation.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)