On Thu, Feb 09 2006, David Reitter wrote: > The send-mail-function defined specifically for the message package > doesn't work on systems where no sendmail is running. > That's why we added the `mailclient' package a while ago. `message.el' is supposed to work with Emacs 21 as well. Do you know whether `mailclient.el' works with Emacs 21? > The patch below fixes the problem analogous to what has been done in > the `sendmail' package. Your patch contains several unrelated changes (make-frame-visible), wrapped lines and mixed context/unified hunks which makes is hard to read and to apply. How about the attached patch. It includes some additional checks (partly taken from `message.el' in the development version of Gnus). I'm not sure (and I can't test) if (custom-reevaluate-setting 'message-send-mail-function) in `startup.el' is necessary. Bye, Reiner.