From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
Subject: Re: cvs keyword hacking in texi/Makefile.in
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:32:20 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Mar 25 2005, Miles Bader wrote:

> Karl Pflästerer <sigurd <at> 12move.de> writes:
>> Could you elaborate what you wanted to achieve so I can write a Scheme
>> solution?
>
> My personal goal is to simply get rid of CVS keywords where possible; this
> probably has the easiest implementation too... :-)

ACK.  The primary goal is _not_ to include the CVS keyword "$Id: ...$"
from gnus-faq.xml when generating gnus-faq.texi and the Gnus manuals
which include gnus-faq.texi.  (It should not even be included as a
comment, because this also makes trouble when merging changes.)  By
adding the sed command ('/[$]Id:.*[$]/d') in the Makefile, we get rid
of the Id tag when generating gnus-faq.texi.

Of course removing the Id tag from gnus-faq.xml would be the most
simple solution, but maybe we want to have the tag present in the
(X)HTML versions published on <URL:http://my.gnus.org/FAQ>?  It's nice
to see the revision date on the web version to see that they are up to
date.  The Id tag is located in the introductory part of the FAQ which
IMHO requires some modifications besides the Id tag:

,----[ <news:v9mzsvvdbp.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de> ]
| > -  The "Changes" section should not be present in the texi version.
|
| At least the CVS $ID$ should not be included.  I'm not sure if the
| faq-discuss mailing list is necessary.
`----

Maybe excluding some parts for the texi-version could be achieved best
by adding some markup in gnus-faq.xml which you can use in
xml2texi.scm?  (I'd also like to hear Frank's opinion on that.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)