* i18n issues: wrong encoding
@ 2006-05-05 18:48 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2006-05-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

usually, the Cyrillic messages I receive (via IMAP) are displayed properly.
alas, every now and then I see garbage (umlauted vowels).
when that happens, I have to open the message in Evolution (or
Thunderbird) - it is displayed as garbage there too, of course! - then
go to the menu -> View -> Character Encoding -> [try several encodings
until the message is readable].

How do I do the same in gnus/emacs (emacs cvs head)?
I.e., how do I change the encoding of a given buffer?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) on Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
http://thereligionofpeace.com http://ffii.org http://mideasttruth.com

* Re: i18n issues: wrong encoding
@ 2006-05-05 21:32 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ `C-h k g' ]

`----

,----[ <f1> v gnus-summary-show-article-charset-alist RET ]
| gnus-summary-show-article-charset-alist is a variable defined in
| `gnus-sum.el'.
| Its value is
| ((12 . windows-1252)
|  (0 . iso-8859-15)
|  (8 . utf-8))
|
| Documentation:
| Alist of number and charset.
| The article will be shown with the charset corresponding to the
| numbered argument.
| For example: ((1 . cn-gb-2312) (2 . big5)).
`----

Or use the menu: <menu-bar> <Article> <Display> <View as
different encoding> ...

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,