* calling gnus-article-fill-cited-article only for a given group
@ 2006-10-29 19:41 Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2006-10-29 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a given group (and only that group), I want
gnus-article-fill-cited-article invoked when displaying articles.
What's the right way to get that to happen?

I think I want to do

  (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'gnus-article-fill-cited-article))

but how do I get that to be in effect only for a given group.  In
particular, after I leave this group,
gnus-article-fill-cited-article should no longer be on
gnus-article-prepare-hook.

Michael

* Re: calling gnus-article-fill-cited-article only for a given group
@ 2006-10-29 20:49 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-29 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 29 2006, Michael Cook wrote:

> For a given group (and only that group), I want
> gnus-article-fill-cited-article invoked when displaying articles.
> What's the right way to get that to happen?
>
> I think I want to do
>
>   (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'gnus-article-fill-cited-article))
>
> but how do I get that to be in effect only for a given group.

Setting `gnus-treat-fill-article' to t for that group (via
`gnus-parameters' or `G c') should have the same effect?

> In particular, after I leave this group,
> gnus-article-fill-cited-article should no longer be on
> gnus-article-prepare-hook.

You need to make the hook buffer local and set it as follows in
`gnus-posting-styles':

   ("gmane\\.network\\.leafnode"
    (eval
     (add-hook (make-local-variable 'gnus-message-setup-hook)
	       'rs-message-insert-in-reply-to)))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: calling gnus-article-fill-cited-article only for a given group
@ 2006-10-29 21:08   ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2006-10-29 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, Oct 29 2006, Michael Cook wrote:
>
>> For a given group (and only that group), I want
>> gnus-article-fill-cited-article invoked when displaying articles.
>> What's the right way to get that to happen?
>>
>> I think I want to do
>>
>>   (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'gnus-article-fill-cited-article))
>>
>> but how do I get that to be in effect only for a given group.
>
> Setting `gnus-treat-fill-article' to t for that group (via
> `gnus-parameters' or `G c') should have the same effect?

Yes, that seems to do it.

>> In particular, after I leave this group,
>> gnus-article-fill-cited-article should no longer be on
>> gnus-article-prepare-hook.
>
> You need to make the hook buffer local and set it as follows in
> `gnus-posting-styles':
>
>    ("gmane\\.network\\.leafnode"
>     (eval
>      (add-hook (make-local-variable 'gnus-message-setup-hook)
> 	       'rs-message-insert-in-reply-to)))

That doesn't seem to be necessary, I think.

Anyhow, thanks!

* Re: calling gnus-article-fill-cited-article only for a given group
@ 2006-10-29 23:46   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-10-29 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h f make-local-variable RET ]

`----

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: calling gnus-article-fill-cited-article only for a given group
@ 2006-10-30  9:25     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-30  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 30 2006, Johan Bockgård wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> You need to make the hook buffer local and set it as follows in
>> `gnus-posting-styles':
>>
>>      (add-hook (make-local-variable 'gnus-message-setup-hook)
>> 	       'rs-message-insert-in-reply-to)))
>
> ,----[ C-h f make-local-variable RET ]
> | [...]
> |
> | Do not use `make-local-variable' to make a hook variable buffer-local.
> | Instead, use `add-hook' and specify t for the LOCAL argument.
> `----

Thanks for the correction.  Originally I used `add-to-list', which
shouldn't be used on hooks, IIRC.

Using...

    (eval (add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook
		    'rs-message-insert-in-reply-to nil t))

... in posting styles doesn't work.

Beside that, I now realize that `gnus-posting-styles' doesn't make
sense for the original problem (filling the article).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)