* Chinese translation of the Gnus FAQ
@ 2003-10-10 14:50 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-10 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chunyu Wang

Hi,

Chunyu Wang has sent me (see message below) a Chinese translation of
the Gnus FAQ.  I think it's a good idea to include it as
`texi/gnus-faq-cn.texi' in the Gnus distribution.

Chunyu Wang agrees to sign the necessary papers.  Can somebody send
him the suitable assignment form?  I don't have an account on GNU
machines (were those forms are stored, AFAIK).

Bye, Reiner.

Sorry for late reply. October 1~7 are our National Day, our holiday too :).

  Reiner> On Tue, Sep 30 2003, Chunyu Wang wrote:
  >>  Can I add the chinese version to your faq CVS? It is texi format.

  Reiner> There a two possible CVS repositories:

  Reiner> 1) The repository of Gnus itself.  We could add your document to the
  Reiner> directory texi as `gnus-faq-cn.texi' or the like (see the
  Reiner> discussion on French docs [1]).

  Reiner> Then it would be automatically distributed with future releases of
  Reiner> Gnus and GNU Emacs.  This would requires that you sign a copyright
  Reiner> assignment for your text, see e.g.
  Reiner> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html> and
  Reiner> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

  Reiner> If you agree, you can send me (or some other Gnus committer) the
  Reiner> texi file and we will add it to the repository when your assignment
  Reiner> has been processed.  It sounds more complicated than it actually
  Reiner> is. :-)

Yes, I agree. I send gnus-faq-cn.texi to you with this mail. But I
don't know how to sigh the assignment.

  Reiner> I'd prefer this alternative.  If you don't want this, there
  Reiner> alternative 2) ...

  Reiner> 2) There's the SourceForge project[2] on Gnus.  This is the primary
  Reiner> source of the (english) Gnus FAQ, which is maintained by Frank
  Reiner> Schmitt.  We could most probably add your versions there, but I
  Reiner> would like to hear Frank's opinion on this, first (he's on holiday
  Reiner> for the next two weeks).

The latter one is ok too.

  Reiner> Please let me know, which alternative you prefer.  Then I will forward
  Reiner> your offer to the Gnus developers list [3] or to the Gnus FAQ people.

  Reiner> Bye, Reiner.

Both ok for me. But I think this FAQ should be in of sync with the
English version easily. :)

Thank you very much.

  Reiner> [1] http://news.gmane.org/onethread.php?group=gmane.emacs.gnus.general&root=%3Cplop87n0int0o2.fsf%40gnu-rox.org%3E

  Reiner> [2] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnus/

  Reiner> [3] http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general

  [...]

Here are texi version and txt version, encoding with gb2312:

* Re: Chinese translation of the Gnus FAQ
@ 2003-10-16 14:17 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chunyu Wang

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Chunyu Wang has sent me (see message below) a Chinese translation of
> the Gnus FAQ.

Great!

> I think it's a good idea to include it as `texi/gnus-faq-cn.texi' in
> the Gnus distribution.

I'm not quite sure that distributing (parts of) the documentation in
various languages in the Gnus distribution is the optional solution,
though.  Maintaining the documentation then becomes more complicated,
for instance.  Perhaps it would make more sense to host the
translations somewhere else (say, my.gnus.org) and provide pointers
from the Gnus distribution?

* Re: Chinese translation of the Gnus FAQ
@ 2003-10-20 15:59   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chunyu Wang

Did you change your mind since <news:m3u1ckvdfe.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
and <news:m3y91vi4z3.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>?  :-)

> Maintaining the documentation then becomes more complicated, for
> instance.  Perhaps it would make more sense to host the translations
> somewhere else (say, my.gnus.org) and provide pointers from the Gnus
> distribution?

This is alternative 2 (SourceForge) I mentioned in my reply to Chunyu
Wang (see previous message).  But I'm not so sure anymore that it's
easier in this way: It was quite cumbersome to re-include
`gnus-faq.texi' from my.gnus.org (generated from `gnus-faq.xml') into
the Gnus manual in `texi/gnus-faq.texi'.  I'm afraid that both
versions (quimby/my.gnus.org) may sooner or later drift apart.  (It's
already ugly to keep .xml _and_ .texi in sync.)  Obviously my qualms
don't apply if we only add pointers and don't plan to include stuff
sooner or later.

Anyhow, if you prefer my.gnus.org for translations, I'll ask Frank
Schmitt to set this up.  Then I could add some pointer in `gnus.texi'.
Maybe in (info "(gnus)Frequently Asked Questions").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Chinese translation of the Gnus FAQ
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-02 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 16 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

[...]

>> I'm not quite sure that distributing (parts of) the documentation in
>> various languages in the Gnus distribution is the optional solution,
>> though.
>
> Did you change your mind since <news:m3u1ckvdfe.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
> and <news:m3y91vi4z3.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>?  :-)

Er...  probably.  :-)

I don't know.  I don't have any strong feelings on the matter.  But
it's my general experience that translations have a tendency to grow
out-of-date, especially if they're maintained "far" from where the
translator sits...

* Re: Chinese translation of the Gnus FAQ
@ 2004-01-03 17:23       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-01-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 02 2004, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>> On Thu, Oct 16 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>>> I'm not quite sure that distributing (parts of) the documentation in
>>> various languages in the Gnus distribution is the optional solution,
>>> though.
>>
>> Did you change your mind since <news:m3u1ckvdfe.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
>> and <news:m3y91vi4z3.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>?  :-)
>
> Er...  probably.  :-)
>
> I don't know.  I don't have any strong feelings on the matter.  But
> it's my general experience that translations have a tendency to grow
> out-of-date, especially if they're maintained "far" from where the
> translator sits...

There's a link[1] to the Chinese translation on MGO (my.gnus.org):
<URL:http://my.gnus.org/FAQ/>.

The MGO team could add links to the French docs mentioned in the above
MIDs to that page.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] ATM, the host is unreachable.
--